Is it time to stop keeping fish?

SarahO

On 4/15/2022 at 10:00 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Yes you can add salt with the meds.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/aquarium-salt-for-sick-fish

Recommended dose is 1 Tbsp per 3 gallons of water. 

It helps with constipation, recovery, and respiration specifically. I add it whenever I am dosing meds.

salt.png.a1b034eb1d6f5a2d4dd2a345a067f84b.png

I just added the salt. Fingers crossed he’s feeling a little better in the morning. I truly appreciate the quick responses and advice. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for the kind words and advice. My pea puffer passed away today. I’m not sure what I’ll do now. Maybe get a different type of fish, or maybe just focus on my plants for a while. Either way, I appreciate the help. 

• Sad 1

On 4/16/2022 at 7:52 PM, SarahO said:

Thank you all for the kind words and advice. My pea puffer passed away today. I’m not sure what I’ll do now. Maybe get a different type of fish, or maybe just focus on my plants for a while. Either way, I appreciate the help. 

😞 I'm very sorry for the loss.

Do you have any way to test your water so we know all of the parameters? (test strips or something) for KH, GH, and PH)

I think if you can get the temperature right. We can suggest some tanks that might have some very hearty, easy fish. One example being a bolivian ram.

Edit:

I don't know if a guide like this helps at all with your past issues that you've had.  I really think a lot of the issues you have had might be where you got the fish from or something is off in the water. We are here to help and hopefully, something makes sense for the struggles.

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 4/16/2022 at 8:06 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

😞 I'm very sorry for the loss.

Do you have any way to test your water so we know all of the parameters? (test strips or something) for KH, GH, and PH)

I think if you can get the temperature right. We can suggest some tanks that might have some very hearty, easy fish. One example being a bolivian ram.

Edit:

I don't know if a guide like this helps at all with your past issues that you've had.  I really think a lot of the issues you have had might be where you got the fish from or something is off in the water. We are here to help and hopefully, something makes sense for the struggles.

My ten gallon has an adjustable heater, and my 5 gallon has a heater that keeps the tank right around 79°. I was going to take a water sample to my LFS today to get it professionally tested, because I don’t have a way to test the Kh/Gh myself. 

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 7:52 PM, SarahO said:

Aww I'm sorry 😔 I just want to say, as a beginner & new to this forum, this thread has been very valuable. Both for the solid advice given, but also for the recognition of the emotional aspect of keeping any living being 💙

• Like 2

On 4/17/2022 at 10:47 AM, SarahO said:

I was going to take a water sample to my LFS today to get it professionally tested, because I don’t have a way to test the Kh/Gh myself. 

They should have test strips that should be pretty cheap and you can probably get some.  It's likely what they will use to test your water and hopefully you'll get to see how they work too.