New to the forum.

KnineDHP

Just getting back into fish after a LONG gap.    I got the wife a 20L with plants and shrimp.  and now the bug has me again.  Time to go big again.  Is there anyone in the Seattle area that would mind guiding a little?  I have kept a 125gal live planted with co2 but that was 20 years ago and I'm sure much has changed.

I'm pretty handy with DIY stuff so that's not a big deal but will be buying or building most everything needed.  It's great being so close to the Coop.  

End goals 125+ tank, hi-tech  Lots of smaller fish shrimp natural looking tank.  As much ecosystem as possible.

Thanks in advance
Robert

• Love 1

Welcome to the forum. I got back into it as well after being out of it for over 10 years. 

I wouldn't say too much has changed aside from the fact that it's getting hard to find a local fish shop that has good stock (at least where I live). You're lucky that you're so close to the coop! Look forward to following if you have a journal. I only really kept aggressive fish and this is my first foray into a planted ecosystem. Learning a lot as I go along. 

I am new back to this I need to source the tank first, I will likely build most other things besides the tank and stand.

I would like to run sump and CO2.  Is this still hard to not lose all your CO2?  are canisters still very sub-par.  I would much rather spend what's needed to only spend once than keep trying things.

Is there a good large tank supplier on the Seatle regen?  I don't think I have seen tanks at Coop when I visit.

I have been looking at used tanks but am scared to death of something used and leaks.

On 4/14/2022 at 5:21 PM, KnineDHP said:

Just getting back into fish after a LONG gap.    I got the wife a 20L with plants and shrimp.  and now the bug has me again.  Time to go big again.  Is there anyone in the Seattle area that would mind guiding a little?  I have kept a 125gal live planted with co2 but that was 20 years ago and I'm sure much has changed.

I'm pretty handy with DIY stuff so that's not a big deal but will be buying or building most everything needed.  It's great being so close to the Coop.  

End goals 125+ tank, hi-tech  Lots of smaller fish shrimp natural looking tank.  As much ecosystem as possible.

Thanks in advance
Robert

If you haven't already, I would recommend looking at attending some Greater Seattle Aquarium Society meetings. @Seattle_Aquarist are y'all on FB? I know there was a Zoom option for some of the meetings during covid.

I'm not in the area anymore, haven't been since 2009, so not really aware of where to go to get what. I am using mostly used tanks, including a cracked one that survived our housefire. My Patient Spouse™ bought me a 4' last year for my birthday that I am slowly procuring everything needed to do the build right the first time, so hard relate on that. I don't do hi-tech, though, just the balanced (as close to balanced as possible) ecosystem aspect. There is a LOT more information than there was 20 years ago!

If you want some awe inspiring inspirations, check out Josh sim on the Green Aqua YouTube channel. If you prefer more Dutch style, you might want to follow Mmiller2021 and gjcarew in here. If you aren't familiar with all the varieties in forms of aquascaping, check out the IAPLC website, there really has been massive advances in both fishkeeping and plant keeping.

You are definitely in the right place for the most supportive learning experience, and welcome to the forum!

• Thanks 1

On 4/14/2022 at 7:59 PM, Torrey said:

If you haven't already, I would recommend looking at attending some Greater Seattle Aquarium Society meetings. @Seattle_Aquarist are y'all on FB? I know there was a Zoom option for some of the meetings during covid.

I'm not in the area anymore, haven't been since 2009, so not really aware of where to go to get what. I am using mostly used tanks, including a cracked one that survived our housefire. My Patient Spouse™ bought me a 4' last year for my birthday that I am slowly procuring everything needed to do the build right the first time, so hard relate on that. I don't do hi-tech, though, just the balanced (as close to balanced as possible) ecosystem aspect. There is a LOT more information than there was 20 years ago!

If you want some awe inspiring inspirations, check out Josh sim on the Green Aqua YouTube channel. If you prefer more Dutch style, you might want to follow Mmiller2021 and gjcarew in here. If you aren't familiar with all the varieties in forms of aquascaping, check out the IAPLC website, there really has been massive advances in both fishkeeping and plant keeping.

You are definitely in the right place for the most supportive learning experience, and welcome to the forum!

Well, the good news is the journey begins just fell into a 180Gal SeaClear tank and stand.  6'x24"x24"

I am on FB who should I reach out to?  I have plenty of time to build it perfectly there is no hurry.

I am not on FB, lol. I know several folx here in the forum that are in the area, are GSAS members. You live close to the Co-op, right?

I believe I saw a GSAS flyer on the door during one of the videos? Next time you are at ACO, I would ask if they have information on the club meetings. I know that there are plant and fish opportunities at many of the meetings, and a lot of people whose helpful nature have helped frame the way the forum works.

Definitely would give you the best chance at success with fewest *expensive* learning "opportunities".

Or, in this day of the internet, this recovering Luddite can simply look up GSAS for you.

https://www.gsas.org/

P.S. I am so jealous of your opportunities for scavenging! You can get some of the sweetest driftwood finds walking the beaches. Of course, I just walk out of my neighborhood, and I am in the Foothills and can collect free cholla, so tradeoffs, right?

On 4/14/2022 at 7:31 PM, Cbass said:

Welcome to the forum. I got back into it as well after being out of it for over 10 years. 

I wouldn't say too much has changed aside from the fact that it's getting hard to find a local fish shop that has good stock (at least where I live). You're lucky that you're so close to the coop! Look forward to following if you have a journal. I only really kept aggressive fish and this is my first foray into a planted ecosystem. Learning a lot as I go along. 

I started a Journal here per your and Griznatch's suggestion. Thanks for the idea! 

• Love 1