Can you recommend a quiet air pump?

DawnE

The Co-op USB is in my bedroom, and I don't hear it.

If I can save up the money to get the shelf system I wanted from Costco (they almost doubled from last year) I'll be buying the piston from the Co-op. For right now, I have a couple TopFin air pumps that are quiet enough, as long as I keep them on computer mouse pads to muffle the vibration.

The Danner 4 outlet and Danner 2 outlets have replaced /are the equivalent of what I have. My airpumps are 3+ years old, and require bi-annual cleaning to stay quiet and keep running. There aren't replacement parts, so when they go I'll be getting Co-op pumps for equivalent quiet and better service.

My 4 outlet has independent controls for air pressure, and is able to power 6 tanks, easily. Longest airline (due to space configurations) is 15'. Not ideal, which is why I believe all apartments and homes could be designed better.

The 2 outlet models can either handle 2 airstones in a 4' tank, or up to 4 tanks, 10 gallons each.

On 4/13/2022 at 1:16 PM, DawnE said:

Mine is very noisy. I want two outlets.

I run a tetra pond style a150 pump on a gang valve. Depending on tank size, it might be too much pressure.

I don't recommend getting a pump with dual outlets. Get a metal gang valve, it's far superior.  I've gone through 3-4 "dual outlet" pumps and had a lot of issues with their durability and flow over life. Even with good diaphragms they just didn't work and you have a lot less flexibility because you're stuck always needing 2-4 outputs.

When they are released, the USB-C version of the aquarium co-op pump might be the one to get.

I use coop nano pumps two can plug into 1 plug block. I also use the new coop pumps spilt to 2 with a gang valve. I was sitting on a towel they are quiet. Someone on here said foam. So I cut matten foam and now they are silent to my ear. I love them. The battery back up feature is awesome 

I have the Eheim 200. Yes, it has 2 outlets but if you are looking for something that is absolutely dead silent, it may not be for you. If you do decide to look into it however, I recommend it. For its size it's actually very quiet and you can adjust the air flow for each valve independently. There is a break in period where at the beginning, it will be a little loud but it eventually goes away (i don't use foam or anything below it). Mine took about a month and a half and the air flow is actually louder than the pump. The only drawback is that it's expensive when compared to other pumps. 

• Like 1

Thanks

I have Ehiem 400, I like them. THey have a rubber surround with a hole for hanging, pretty quiet. Petsmart had them

Thanks

Which do you have now that is noisey?

I am using a pump that I had lying around from making comost Tea ... I don't know what it is.

My issue with the airpump now seems moot since my new HoB has gotten loud in the past 2 days ... not sure what is going on. I have both types because I am treating my water for high phosphate and pH. 

I have a Hydrofarm air pump from 2013 that's great. Nearly silent and very powerful. It's so good in fact that I bought a second one in 2020. The second one is very powerful but is insanely loud. What happened? Danged if I know. They look the same, work the same and even have the same parts, but one is nearly silent and one's deafening. (Well, annoying anyway if not deafening.) Just be forewarned that a nearly silent pump for one person can be anything but silent in another incarnation of that same pump.