What are these brown tendrils?

Bebo

Pop quiz! What are these brown tendrils?

Not really a quiz because I don’t know the answer. 😊 I’m having trouble finding information. My searches keep turning up brown algae but the pictures I see don’t really match.

What do you think? 🤔

Thank you!

8959A2C6-B69D-4BE2-9C59-79D3C452745E.jpeg.587dc712a0a6f17e534a5490c4ebd080.jpeg

• Love 1

I’ve had the driftwood in this tank since 2014. These tendril things started showing up a couple of weeks ago? I haven’t introduced anything significant that I can think of when they started showing up. I was scraping them off at first but have left them for now to see what would happen. 😈

At least the tendrils don’t lash out and eat fish … that would be creepy … and kind of cool on a whole different level. 😆

• Love 1

The tendrils are free floating. They don’t move on their own. There is some on the drift wood in the pic and some on the right rock thing.

Don’t mind all the debris floating around! 😏

03A0B565-7658-4D1F-91F2-4A7BB2C7CA46.gif.67f1b366b476899ecd21ed40a130942d.gif

• Like 1
  • Love 2

You have a gorgeous tank. At first I thought they were blackworms (lower video) as blackworms will move like that and filter feed in the water column. But the still photo up top doesn't match any live foods I am aware of, and I suspect you are legitimately asking for identification.

How long has the hardscape been in the water? Do you feed live foods (if yes, what)? And I agree with Guppysnail, your pleco is gorgeous!!!

Are we seeing windows out the other side of the tank? How magical looking!!!!

• Like 1

What does it feel like?  That is strange.  I’m guessing this grows/continues to get bigger?  If you break some off and leave in the aquarium will it reattach to a different surface?  Just curious, have you tested the water for the basics? If so what are the results?  I’ve been keeping fish a long time and I have never seen anything like that in Freshwater.  Before putting drift wood in the aquarium did you treat/scrub/disinfect the driftwood?  Also did you purchase this wood or remove from a local waterway?  Just a few questions to get me thinking.  

Wow! I'm super intrigued! I was scraping this stuff off at first! I'll try to get some better pictures and post them.

Answering some previous questions ...

How long has the hardscape been in the water? - driftwood has been in there a long time (got it in 2014) and other items have been in there a long time as well

Did you treat/scrub/disinfect the driftwood? - I rinsed and soaked it only, but that was a long time ago

Purchase wood/remove from local waterway? - no, it was an online order

Feed live foods? - no

Seeing windows out the other side of tank? - sorry, no 😊 just reflection of windows behind me

What does it feel like? - soft, squishy, slippery? I should take some out and let it dry

Grows/continues to get bigger? - it appears to get longer at least, maybe not thicker/bigger

Break some off, will it reattach to a different surface? - don't know, good idea for an experiment! It appears to just start growing in different locations.

Test water basics? - they are good, I can post numbers, you can see white crushed coral because I needed to get the pH up to make the snails happier 😊 and to counteract the driftwood

Thank you for the complements on the plecos! The black pleco is healthy ... or at least he creates enough poop to make me think he is! 😊

• Like 2

🤯😃 No way?! That looks spot on!

@Tanked Thank you! I owe you a drink! Your choice! 😊👍🏻

I’m so excited! I’ll for sure let it grow to see what happens. To think I was scraping it off! That may have helped it propagate.

Now I’m going to be all worried about killing it. 😏 Just wait until it takes over the tank and I come to the forums asking how to get rid of it! 😆

• Thanks 1

On 4/17/2022 at 1:18 PM, Bebo said:

🤯😃 No way?! That looks spot on!

@Tanked Thank you! I owe you a drink! Your choice! 😊👍🏻

I’m so excited! I’ll for sure let it grow to see what happens. To think I was scraping it off! That may have helped it propagate.

Now I’m going to be all worried about killing it. 😏 Just wait until it takes over the tank and I come to the forums asking how to get rid of it! 😆

If I guessed correctly, I will leave it up to you and the others to figure out how you got this "rare" red algae/moss.

If it takes over your tank, there is a LFS in the Ukraine that will sell it for $3.44 a portion when they can get it.  It is probably worth more here.  Good luck!