Will my Golden Zebra Loaches eat a Mystery Snail?

Hi everyone,

I was shopping for a mystery snail to go with my goldfish, and I really wanted one for community tank as well. However, I have a pair of golden zebra loaches in my community tank. Do you think they would eat something as big as a mystery snail? Does anyone have experience successfully keeping the two species together/ Thank you in advance! 💙🐌image.jpeg.2a0f0d222bbbc7649539b9be8551766b.jpeg

image.jpeg.9fa05942dc3c468cba515237b671324c.jpeg

On 4/13/2022 at 2:47 PM, Keeg said:

I am willing to bet that the loach will at least try to eat the snail. Every fish is different but with loaches going after snails as regular food, I would not doubt the loach would see the mystery snail as a larger snack. 

Oh well 😂 I suspected as much. Breaking news from another thread though, we're pretty sure they're actually yoyo loaches!! They did leave a rabbit snail alone for a long time that I had, maybe I'd try that again. 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 2:50 PM, hannah662parker said:

Oh well 😂 I suspected as much. Breaking news from another thread though, we're pretty sure they're actually yoyo loaches!! They did leave a rabbit snail alone for a long time that I had, maybe I'd try that again. 

Lol, they definitely look like yoyo loaches, if they left they rabbit snail alone then it could work with the mystery snails, but I guess it 50/50.

• Like 1

My 5" yoyos have left baby (pinky fingernail sized) Japanese Trapdoors alone. A couple dozen have survived into young adulthood.

They only go after pond snails that I farm in my quarantine tank as food for them. As I said in your other thread, there is a pond snail graveyard of bleached out shells at one end of my tank. 

Edited by AndEEss
  • Like 1

On 4/18/2022 at 12:43 PM, anewbie said:

Eventually it will try; also they should be kept in a group of at least 5 and 10 is better. 

I recently learned this, thank you! I was misinformed when I bought them and was told they would stay small and do fine solo 🙃 last year I actually bought this 33gallon long just for them since they got so big. Right now I have quite a mismatch of community fish in it from breaking down other tanks and combining communities, but I'm hoping as I don't replace and let fish continue to naturally die off someday I can introduce 2 more loaches with them 🙂 They play together and zoom around so much, I know they would love more loaches to play with. 

• Like 1