Repashy Jerky?

nabokovfan87

I was planning on buying some of this from the co-op for my bottom feeders. I saw this on the bottle and realized I can actually make it now because I have a dehydrator.  Has anyone tried it? Does it sink?

The logic being that it will be able to be stored a bit differently than the other, traditional uses for the food.  Usually I make a big batch and freeze the majority of it, reserve enough in the fridge that's "fresh" but pull a cube in the freezer whenever I feel like feeding it.

repashy.png.39433a4cce86091b8b2c6a63c9d2a43c.png

• Like 1

I tried once in my dehydrator. Mine floated forever. By the time it sank my snobby kids were not thrilled to eat it. Most likely my error of some type in the making process 🤷‍♀️  I used it up by putting a plant weight on it so it would sink. Now I freeze and seal in a food saver bag. I’m lazy. 🤣

• Like 1

How do you like using this food?  I considered getting it for my tank and preparing it in a square container and then cut it up in cubes and freeze it.  Then I am thinking, I would just be able to drop these frozen cubes in the tank like I do other frozen foods I already purchase?? I have been eyeing this product for a while, but I don't know that much about it.  I was actually looking at it yesterday again ....

On 4/13/2022 at 8:24 AM, SunniSki said:

How do you like using this food?  I considered getting it for my tank and preparing it in a square container and then cut it up in cubes and freeze it.  Then I am thinking, I would just be able to drop these frozen cubes in the tank like I do other frozen foods I already purchase?? I have been eyeing this product for a while, but I don't know that much about it.  I was actually looking at it yesterday again ....

I love it my critters adore it. I use a mini silicone ice cube tray or spread it on parchment paper to cut and freeze. I then use a food saver because I make huge batches so I don’t have to do it often. (Again the lazy thing 🤣)I also add puréed steamed veggies sometimes. It will not sink frozen but held cupped in the palm of your hand it thaws in like a minute then sinks. 

I also dip bamboo sticks in it and suction cup it to the wall. My critters and fish love it that way. 

Silicone mini  ice cube tray or silicone  chocolate candy  molds works well.  I make candy and have old silicone molds that I used, and I freeze them. To set up, then remove them and add them to a ziplock bag marked with date. And keep them in freezer till use  

Edited by Bev C
  • Like 2

On 4/14/2022 at 8:28 AM, Bev C said:

Silicone mini  ice cube tray or silicone  chocolate candy  molds works well.  I make candy and have old silicone molds that I used, and I freeze them. To set up, then remove them and add them to a ziplock bag marked with date. And keep them in freezer till use  

You just drop them in your tank frozen?  Do they sink or float?

I pull what I need out of the freezer, and let them sit out a few minutes before adding them to the tank …  But they say you can put in frozen I have put them in frozen before  if I am in a hurry  with no problems    Usually my fish and snails eat soon as I add it  But I  heard you can leave it for 24 hours in the tank, but my tank eats it all, and it does not last 24 hours 

here is a link might help you https://bikehike.org/how-long-can-repashy-gel-food-stay-in-fish-tank/

Edited by Bev C
  • Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 6:36 AM, SunniSki said:

You just drop them in your tank frozen?  Do they sink or float?

Yep! They sink. They thaw pretty quickly. Fish definitely prefer fresh but frozen is decent.

On 4/14/2022 at 6:45 AM, Bev C said:

I pull what I need out of the freezer, and let them sit out a few minutes before adding them to the tank

I float them in a cup for a few minutes on the tank lid, then feed the tanks.

On 4/13/2022 at 5:24 AM, SunniSki said:

Check this out 🙂

https://youtu.be/Z107s34aqws

Next question… does anyone have suggestions to hold food that is not a clip to hold food such as this gel food.  This would be for my mid to high swimmers that don’t go to the bottom to check out the food.  This way I can share the wealth since the food sinks.

On 4/14/2022 at 9:58 AM, SunniSki said:

Next question… does anyone have suggestions to hold food that is not a clip to hold food such as this gel food.  This would be for my mid to high swimmers that don’t go to the bottom to check out the food.  This way I can share the wealth since the food sinks.

You can add repashy to the exterior of anything. So maybe if you buy a Betta leaf or make the jerky, that will float. Something you can suction cup to the glass.

Better choice is the sera onip/spirulina tabs

On 4/14/2022 at 12:58 PM, SunniSki said:

Dip a bamboo stick in repashy. Jam the clean end in the substrate so it sticks up. All my fish pick it off the stick. 

On 4/14/2022 at 1:48 PM, Guppysnail said:

Dip a bamboo stick in repashy. Jam the clean end in the substrate so it sticks up. All my fish pick it off the stick. 

Genius!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Now I just need to find out what formula to use.  I have community fish, corydoras, shrimp, mystery snail, tetras, danios, mollys, alage eaters, gouramis.  Anyone have any suggestions? 

@SunniSki community is good. Sometimes I mix in some spawn and grow.  Some of my critters like soilent green mixed with super green. For your mix start with community kind of something for everyone 

Oh and it’s crazy fun to watch the mystery snails push the shrimp out of the way when the crawl to the top of the stick. 

On 4/14/2022 at 2:09 PM, Guppysnail said:

@SunniSki community is good. Sometimes I mix in some spawn and grow.  Some of my critters like soilent green mixed with super green. For your mix start with community kind of something for everyone 

Thanks for you help.  I will go order some

On 4/14/2022 at 1:11 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

So maybe if you buy a Betta leaf or make the jerky, that will float. Something you can suction cup to the glass.

Everyone here has such good ideas.

I will look into those tablets you are talking about.  Never heard of them.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 2:09 PM, Guppysnail said:

Oh and it’s crazy fun to watch the mystery snails push the shrimp out of the way when the crawl to the top of the stick. 

Ok I got Soilent Green, problem is that it didn’t set and it’s very wet.  I mixed per the directions…. 1 part food 2-3 parts boiling water.  
I used 1 tablespoon food and 3 parts water.  I’m sure I can decrease the water next time to 2 parts water, but has anyones not had their Repashy set.

On 4/15/2022 at 7:33 PM, SunniSki said:

Ok I got Soilent Green, problem is that it didn’t set and it’s very wet.  I mixed per the directions…. 1 part food 2-3 parts boiling water.  
I used 1 tablespoon food and 3 parts water.  I’m sure I can decrease the water next time to 2 parts water, but has anyones not had their Repashy set

Yes.

You can mix a higher portion per batch (check Cory's video for his method) and it will be looser or more dense of a mix. If you're having issues with it setting just be sure to mix it really well. I do believe you can reheat it with some hot water and get it to liquify again. You'd have to use more powder, definitely an issue. Let me see if I can find a video.

I remember it came up on this tour of Lamont's place. I'll edit with a timecode when I find it.

https://youtu.be/EDCPFTi72io

On 4/15/2022 at 10:54 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Yes.

You can mix a higher portion per batch (check Cory's video for his method) and it will be looser or more dense of a mix. If you're having issues with it setting just be sure to mix it really well. I do believe you can reheat it with some hot water and get it to liquify again. You'd have to use more powder, definitely an issue. Let me see if I can find a video.

I actually watched his video… he did 1 part food, 3 parts water but he used a community blend.  

On 4/15/2022 at 8:00 PM, SunniSki said:

I actually watched his video… he did 1 part food, 3 parts water but he used a community blend.  

Yeah. I think that's what I usually do as well (only ever used the soilent green). I think it just needs to be mixed more. 1:3 ratio.

In the video with Lamont (I swear it's the one when cory eats repashy) they talk about reheating it.

On 4/15/2022 at 8:04 PM, SunniSki said:

I have to try it again. The thing is that mine was starting to set some so it just became a lumpy mess.  I will try again 🫣

I understand. It can set fast. Especially when "fresh". Just keep going and trust it. The longer it stays hotter, easier it will be.