Malaysian Trumpet Snails?

I  was just gravel vacuuming my mbuna tank and just came across of a ton of these snails, all buried under the substrate. No idea how/when they got introduced. Tank has been running since November and I’ve somehow never seen these before…I guess two part question. What kind of snails are these? And would they be safe to feed to my Schoutedeni puffer? They’re pretty pointy/sharp on the end so I don’t want the puffer to cut himself.

Thanks from a new and confused inadvertent snail breeder 🥴0C5C4D98-D54B-4991-BAA9-17A542283FE5.jpeg.5a24cc0a9937a8705b78206e1bcd140e.jpeg344F0030-0248-4360-B151-B28ADFC74E81.jpeg.31a5c7203e0aeb764486305ddc47e97a.jpeg2F17AC82-F8AC-4958-96F8-21931256EE99.jpeg.c584803e23b6dc9a3ae0e93c7e8493e0.jpeg

Yup that's exactly what those are, Malaysian trumpet snails. I usually will leave a few of them in my tanks because I don't mind that they churn the sand for me and I'll feed the extra babies to my loach. 

Now I'm not 100% sure about that puffer. I've never kept one of those but I know my friends Pea Puffer will hunt these down with a vengeance and I've seen no ill effects from it. 

Edited by josephnoctum
grammar
  • Thanks 1

They are Malaysian trumpet snails. They are veeeery good at hiding. You can have hundreds without knowing it but as far as I'm concerned they are beneficial.

Plenty of people have spread the info that they will chip puffer teeth but I feed them to my schoutedeni puffer breeding group and have never had a problem. Mine will only chomp them if they are really hungry otherwise the just suck out the foot and leave the rest to rot. Sometimes they carry them around and it looks like they are stuck but they have always spit them out eventually.

• Thanks 1

On 4/12/2022 at 3:16 PM, Jack.of.all.aquariums said:

They are Malaysian trumpet snails. They are veeeery good at hiding. You can have hundreds without knowing it but as far as I'm concerned they are beneficial.

Plenty of people have spread the info that they will chip puffer teeth but I feed them to my schoutedeni puffer breeding group and have never had a problem. Mine will only chomp them if they are really hungry otherwise the just suck out the foot and leave the rest to rot. Sometimes they carry them around and it looks like they are stuck but they have always spit them out eventually.

That’s great to know! Next tank cleaning I’ll give him a few and see how he likes them. What else are you feeding your puffers? Mine seems to only want to eat ramshorn snails and the big freeze dried krill. Don’t really seem interested in frozen bloodworms or brineshrimp…