What Veggies can I feed my Goldfish?

Hannah Parker

Shelled smashed peas, I would smash them as they are so derpy they can choke on them. Blanched spinach, steamed or boiled kale. I used a lot of spirulina flake. Algae or veggie wafers that sink. They love duckweed. Repashy makes a goldfish formula. If they are small then brine shrimp - the shells act as a laxative, mosquito larvae and once in a blue moon some Tubifex. I would avoid blood worms they tend to bloat on the blood worms. Their guts are not normal so they are at huge risk for impaction which then leads to swimbladder issues. 

• Like 1

Thank you!! I will definitely stay away from blood worms. He is quite young, and I have frozen brine shrimp as well. How often would you recommend that? I'm feeding a veggie blend/spirulina flake on the daily. 

On 4/12/2022 at 2:57 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Shelled smashed peas, I would smash them as they are so derpy they can choke on them. Blanched spinach, steamed or boiled kale. I used a lot of spirulina flake. Algae or veggie wafers that sink. They love duckweed. Repashy makes a goldfish formula. If they are small then brine shrimp - the shells act as a laxative, mosquito larvae and once in a blue moon some Tubifex. I would avoid blood worms they tend to bloat on the blood worms. Their guts are not normal so they are at huge risk for impaction which then leads to swimbladder issues. 

On 4/12/2022 at 3:01 PM, Patrick_G said:

I’ll second the duckweed. My pond goldfish love it. 

I keep hearing that but he doesn't seem to be eating the duckweed I put in the other day! He didn't really want to eat any pellets either, just the flake food I'm feeding him daily. I'm thinking he only recognizes flake food right now? I've only had him a couple weeks. 

Couple times a week. It is good protein for them. I usually used 2-3 foods in rotation. I would get some repashy, continue your flake, maybe get some Extreme Spirulina flake, and feed the veggies and brine shrimp 3-4 times a week. That sounds like a very well rounded diet that an duckweed and you would have some very happy goldies. 

• Like 2

Great! Thank you so much for the recommendations 

On 4/12/2022 at 3:04 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Couple times a week. It is good protein for them. I usually used 2-3 foods in rotation. I would get some repashy, continue your flake, maybe get some Extreme Spirulina flake, and feed the veggies and brine shrimp 3-4 times a week. That sounds like a very well rounded diet that an duckweed and you would have some very happy goldies. 

Here is a photo of the little guy in question! image.jpeg.7e5aaa367e1227e0611322b4af17ba1f.jpeg

• Love 1