Best Heater for Discus Tank.

Sharlotte Adams

You should use multiple heaters - 2-4 on a temp controller like an inkbird. Although a 300 watt is rated for 75 it takes a lot of energy and you are relying on some pretty primitive technology with your expensive fish. Heaters are the bane of aquarists existence. There is no foolproof heater. We are all hoping that the new COOP heater will be the answer but you never know. Heating the room to 75-78 would then leave the heaters to do less work. I have seen folks keep an oil/coil heater next to their tank then use a couple heaters on a temp controller and you would be good to go. 

On 4/12/2022 at 11:27 AM, Sharlotte Adams said:

Best Heater for a 75 gallon Discus Tank (they are young and will be upgraded to a larger tank) Ehiem Heater 300 Watt barely keeps the tank at 82 degrees. (No fish in the tank yet)

I run 2 on my 75G

I highly recommend the fluval E Series heaters.

agree with the others. doesnt matter the tank. half the required wattage, and run 2 of them. two reasons, both related to failure. if one sticks on , much less likely to cook your fish as a single heater wont be able to over heat the tank on its own. second, if it fails to heat, you still have 1 keeping some heat in the tank. 1 thing in life you can guarantee is that an aquarium heater will fail.