Fancy goldfish/ Koi food

Huihui

What do you mean by sensitive?     I favor New Life Spectrum, Northfin, Repashy and Omega One.   I have had issues with Fluval Bug Bites and will never feed it to my fancy goldfish again.   I avoid really junky type foods with them because of the prevalence of GI and SBD in fancies.  When I say junky, I'm thinking about those that have fish meal as the main protein source and the rest of the ingredient list reads like ingredients you would find in a bakery.     Some fillers and binders are okay, but you don't want an excessive amount.  Also, good to feed some veggies especially deshelled peas that have been softened a bit through some cooking.  The peas don't have to be cooked all the way but my goldies won't eat them if they are too hard.   

Ranchu's are rather prone to SBD.  You can try to reverse it with a 2-3 day fast and then feed nothing but deshelled peas for the next 2 days.   The fasting only works if it is a gastrointestinal issue.   Unfortunately, a lot of times SBD is due to deformity and their curved compact body shape, but diet can make the issue worse.   I would try some Repashy Super Gold see how that goes.    If you feed pellets soak for 10 minutes first.   I wouldn't feed flakes to goldfish at all especially if there is already SBD present.  Definitely give more veggies, I tend to feed green beans and peas but there are other veggies you can try.  I have often seen SBD happen before dropsy and total organ failure but hard to say which causes which.   There are also plenty of ranchus that live their life out with SBD but are perfectly health otherwise.  I have one in my 75 that cannot get off the tank bottom.   He lives a decent life.   I keep an eye out for infections but so far, he has been healthy other than his SBD and he is able to float up just tad but enough to move towards the food I drop on bottom.   

ETA:   You may want to also try a round of Kanaplex if you suspect the issue is caused by a bacterial infection.

Edited by Kathy F