Pea puffers in a well planted 20L

isaly

Yesterday I started a medium size sponge filter with one of the air stones in my 55. I’ll use that sponge for a second tank which I’d like to be a 20L which I’ll plant for pea puffers.

They’ve just grown on me…I really like 'em and I saw ‘em at the lfs…

I’m not in a hurry. I’ll let that sponge get all nice and gooey and set up the 20. I think I'm going to use sand on the bottom this time, maybe move some of my trumpet snails along with some gravel to help the cycle and look interestinng in preparation for the puffers. If it’s well planted and there are hides I’d like to try a group of 6 - 8.

As I’ve intimated before, my small apartment will allow only so much tankage. I have the one 55 now, so the plan is to build a shelving unit with several levels from cinder blox and boards to hold a couple of 20’s and a few nanos. The total footprint will be 15 x 60 in.

Each of the two lower levels inside measurement would be 45”w, 22.5”h and 15”d. That’ll give me 10” of space above each 20L tank, 3” front to back, and 15” side to side. Plenty of room to get into the tanks. Plenty of room for lights, even hob. The top of the unit would hold a row of nanos. Maybe I’ll decide on only the one 20L and do more nanos — I’ll cross that bridge as I decide over time. I’d like a betta…

I'll journal as I put it together.

• Like 3

Pea puffers are amazing! Such different behavior than other fish. Sounds like you have a good plan. In a 20L IMO I wouldn’t go over 6 of them maybe even keep it at 5. If you want tank mates stay away from slow moving or long fins. Feeding them is the biggest challenge, I feed mine pond/ pest snails, live blackworms, and frozen bloodworms. So I also keep a snail grow out tank and 2 blackworm cultures. 
I have 3 in a 20G high39E1550F-C863-4F90-BAD5-CF9469CBD737.jpeg.af6a54ffb757db84e600f0525fc666f9.jpeg

994A779F-5CA4-45A7-9A1A-9BAE5204A732.jpeg.f5a7259465733b5dd073da01ef901086.jpeg

3E7CA971-01D3-4924-9948-DB7C83B3C131.jpeg.20ee7cf7a499c6cdd8e4c2c7fd64076c.jpeg

good luck mate.

• Love 1

On 4/12/2022 at 10:28 PM, Fish Folk said:

One thing to be prepared for: they can be really picky eaters.  

I have a ton of malaysian trumpets in the 55. I might try hatching brine shrimp and giving 'em worms as well.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 5:12 AM, Atitagain said:

I have 3 in a 20G high

So, three then or might the long give more horizontal-ish swimming space and, depending on plants and stuff, more privacy?

I'm thinking that maybe the next project goal would be to breed the little ones and that I'd have a better chance with a few more.

...and a possibility for a third tank would be a 10 with plants and snails/shrimp, possibly for feeding these folks?

...oh god, this is how it starts...:classic_blink:

Darned insidious, I tell ya's what...

• Haha 1

On 4/13/2022 at 9:10 PM, isaly said:

So, three then or might the long give more horizontal-ish swimming space and, depending on plants and stuff, more privacy?

I'm thinking that maybe the next project goal would be to breed the little ones and that I'd have a better chance with a few more.

...and a possibility for a third tank would be a 10 with plants and snails/shrimp, possibly for feeding these folks?

...oh god, this is how it starts...:classic_blink:

Darned insidious, I tell ya's what...

I only keep 3 because I started with 5 a year-ish ago and lost 2 of them quickly. But these 3 have been super hardy. I think 20G L is good for 6 as long as water parameters are watched.

I also would like to breed them another reason I’m not adding more than 3 I’d rather breed some to stock with.  

yes they are a very good reason to feed a “multi tank syndrome” sufferers addiction. I have 4 systems (tanks) set up with primary reasons for them is 3 pea puffers. 😬🥴

show tank, snail grow out, 2 blackworm systems. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/13/2022 at 5:12 AM, Atitagain said:

Pea puffers are amazing! Such different behavior than other fish. Sounds like you have a good plan. In a 20L IMO I wouldn’t go over 6 of them maybe even keep it at 5. If you want tank mates stay away from slow moving or long fins. Feeding them is the biggest challenge, I feed mine pond/ pest snails, live blackworms, and frozen bloodworms. So I also keep a snail grow out tank and 2 blackworm cultures. 

Just because I'm curious what's your arrangement for your blackworm cultures? Also do you have 2 just because it fit in two vessels easily as opposed to one bigger one? I'm debating expanding my blackworm culture. 

On 4/13/2022 at 10:52 PM, BF McUmber said:

Just because I'm curious what's your arrangement for your blackworm cultures? Also do you have 2 just because it fit in two vessels easily as opposed to one bigger one? I'm debating expanding my blackworm culture. 

86716863-669E-4682-A897-A313F706687C.jpeg.d342957b4f8a7a42d580476a20c842a6.jpeg

This is my set up for blackworms, each tub holds 3-ish gallons. I have a small layer of gravel that I stir with a turkey baster  once a day. Also I make sure there is always cascading water somehow. I use mineralized RO water to keep PH below 7.0. I have some plants with them so I try to keep nitrates around 20ppm.

I keep two set ups Incase one of them crashes. In my signature the link “live food cultivating” I go into much more detail if you want to check it out. There are other threads about them on here as well. My set up is based on the set up from @Wild Fish Tanks 

On 4/14/2022 at 4:54 AM, Atitagain said:

86716863-669E-4682-A897-A313F706687C.jpeg.d342957b4f8a7a42d580476a20c842a6.jpeg

This is my set up for blackworms, each tub holds 3-ish gallons. I have a small layer of gravel that I stir with a turkey baster  once a day. Also I make sure there is always cascading water somehow. I use mineralized RO water to keep PH below 7.0. I have some plants with them so I try to keep nitrates around 20ppm.

I keep two set ups Incase one of them crashes. In my signature the link “live food cultivating” I go into much more detail if you want to check it out. There are other threads about them on here as well. My set up is based on the set up from @Wild Fish Tanks 

Neat I'll give it a look over. Do all your tanks get the remineralized ro water or did I just ignore the ph preference for the worms when I set mine up. I have mine at 8.2 ph like my tanks. 

@BF McUmber I have one other tank I use the RO water for, it runs 7.0-ish I mix with tap. the blackworms seem to stay 6.6-ish RO only. 
my tap is 7.8 and my other tanks (18) range 7.6-8.0.

I have heard of people having success with them at higher ph. using RO/DI was recommended by someone (I think in wildfishtanks video) So I just rolled with that and have had success. 

Edited by Atitagain
  • Thanks 1