Jump to content

Anybody else decide to make a background?


Alesha
 Share

Recommended Posts

They are just SO crazy expensive! I'd¬†rather send my money to Aquarium Co-op for cool goodies to go¬†INside my tanks!¬†ūüėć

I couldn't find what I wanted. And I didn't want to spray paint it black like we did our other tank 

So I figured "water" color would be appropriate for an aquarium.ūüėĀ

20201016_124443.jpg.65946f159cc6d282d404782bbc99ab52.jpg

I know poster board works too...I just wanted a little ombre action going on. The lighter color will go at the top. I might add another layer of color when it dries.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is an awesome idea. My homemade backgrounds include a spray foam/sand 3d background, a concrete/foam background coated in flex seal liquid, a black plasti-dip background, and a black krylon fusion background (and that was a bad idea because it's never going to come off).

Have you considered using thinner paper with the water color and letting a bit of light come through? Ever since I saw Aquapros ancient gardens on youtube, I've been interested in the background system he used -- the current-usa serene background, which combines a translucent background and a sunrise/sunset light on the back. I want to make a DIY version of it combining a water-color background and very soft, dim lighting behind it. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, StephenP2003 said:

 

Have you considered using thinner paper with the water color and letting a bit of light come through? 

I haven't ever considered that,  but it should be very do-able, I'm sure.  This paper does let some light through. I can use a light box to trace things,  so I know it isn't completely opaque. I'm just a beginner,  so I'm not sure which thin paper would work with watercolor paints. If you give it a try,  be sure to share it with us! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, akconklin said:

They are just SO crazy expensive! I'd¬†rather send my money to Aquarium Co-op for cool goodies to go¬†INside my tanks!¬†ūüėć

I couldn't find what I wanted. And I didn't want to spray paint it black like we did our other tank 

So I figured "water" color would be appropriate for an aquarium.ūüėĀ

20201016_124443.jpg.65946f159cc6d282d404782bbc99ab52.jpg

I know poster board works too...I just wanted a little ombre action going on. The lighter color will go at the top. I might add another layer of color when it dries.

This looks so good! what kind of paper did you use? how do you attach it to the back of the aquarium? I hate trying to apply those sticky ones! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know if this counts, but I have Rubbermaid shelf behind my tank as a background. You can find them in the closet organization section at Home Depot. It just happened to be nearly the same size as my Mr.Aqua 12g. I'm using it because I setup the tank before I thought about a background and it was easy to slide behind it. Since it is not directly against the glass it makes a natural hombre from the shadow and adds a little more depth to this narrow tank. Also some plants grow out of the tank and fall between the background and glass with I think is neat. The hydrocotlyle in the second pic is outside of the tank.20201016_140106.jpg.8af854d3328d498c13dd3982c4a68eb2.jpg20201016_140131.jpg.a4754e10d9115ad7dae08b704feeea63.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Aubrey said:

I don't know if this counts, but I have Rubbermaid shelf behind my tank as a background. You can find them in the closet organization section at Home Depot. It just happened to be nearly the same size as my Mr.Aqua 12g. I'm using it because I setup the tank before I thought about a background and it was easy to slide behind it. Since it is not directly against the glass it makes a natural hombre from the shadow and adds a little more depth to this narrow tank. 

Ohhhhh... great idea,  @Aubrey!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DaveSamsell said:

@akconklin, I have used inexpensive fabric coverings.  They come in a wide variety of designs, colors, styles and most are washable, as well.  

That's a good point, @DaveSamsell, that material is washable. 

I wondered briefly if sealing the paint would be a wise move.  If water hits watercolor paper,  it will definitely alter the picture. 

I'll be doing a little research on that. Thanks for the idea. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, FishTankBarn said:

Thanks akconklin!  Give it a try, you never know what you can come up with.   

I saw yours on the kg member stream and instantly recognized the technique. It's cool to see the different textures that can be achieved with it. I made one with real concrete first, and it was a bigger pain in the ass and didn't look half as good. Much easier to shape and cut the all-foam background too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I tried the background this morning behind the tank. It was very pale!

So I painted another layer, a little darker, & it's drying now.

20201017_114938.jpg.3967ee35569ddb1a4e7c740927b03078.jpg

I also mounted it on foam board with double-sided tape. I had to weight it down overnight (fortunately I had a few bags of gravel handy! Excellent paper weights.) I'll do that again tonight to get the ripples out of the paper. 

I did a little research & ordered Krylon Gallery Series UV Archival Varnish Aerosol Spray, Gloss from Amazon.

It should seal the paint & protect it from drips.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got the background sealed & installed. 

It's way more subtle than I expected. But I think there are a couple of things affecting that:¬† I've got a great bio-film going on the front & back glass, AND I think my water's a bit on the green side.¬†ūüėŹ

Over all, I'm very pleased. 

20201026_155800.jpg.dbf064c5bf19482478a9ffc1b7758f3d.jpg20201026_190110.jpg.f68e0caa6bf4d86b2e9e72516c351ae8.jpg20201026_190507.jpg.44b2c19be252c9262cbd22436b754509.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...