Silver tip tetra tank mates

Owen Robinson

I wouldn't do an angel in a 29 with silvertips. Their activity level and their nature to fin nip in such a confined space may end badly. Either the angel could get fin nipped and constantly be fighting fin rot, or the angel decides this isn't going to fly and starts killing your silvertips to stop the nipping - never underestimate the destructive nature of an angered angel. I had a lone male that I moved to my 65 with tiger barbs because he just couldn't play nice with other angels. Tiger barbs tried to rough house with him like they do their own kind. He took offense to that and proceeded to run down several tiger barbs and slam them into the side of the tank while  biting them to kill them....he lived out the rest of his days in a 20 tall with some snails.

A female dwarf gourami seems like the better choice given those two options. Their fins are smaller and so not potentially as much a target. And they're less murderous than angels.

• Like 1

You could go with a lot of different tetras with a powder blue gourami: ember, neon, cardinal, black neon, green neon, glowlight, lemon, silvertip, and more.

An angelfish will eventually get big enough to eat small tetra species, like ember, neon, and green neon, but that could take a while.

I have a school of lemon tetras and a school of cardinal tetras from the Co Op with a pair of angels in my 40 breeder. I love the lemon tetras--they're a pale yellow with brighter yellow on their fins, which makes their movements show up really well. But I've also seen lemon tetras that are more silver than yellow and not as pretty. One nice thing about lemons is they live pretty long for a tetra, 6 yrs on average.

My go to suggestions with an angelfish are von rio or Columbian tetras. They're both a bit bigger and deeper bodied than neons or cardinals which makes them outside of angel eating size, quite colorful, and in my experience have played nice with angels. They also do nicely in the warmer temps that angels like.