Really need some help with parasites in my Goldie.

Tabeth

I tried to condense this!! Sorry it’s long. 

So Clem has been losing scales since at least  October.  We (fellow instafriends) thought it must be flukes. I used prazi pro for about 2 months  

Once I stopped the treatment my other (recently passed) goldfish continued to exhibit rubbing against the substrate and this guy Clem yawning.

I asked for advice again and was recommended I try paraguard since the possible flukes were resistant. It’s been maybe a month of that treatment  

He still yawns all the time possibly more. Noticed s couple more scales. He has spent a while at the top of a few times recently so I changed the water and it seems to help him from surface breathing. 

next I watched Cory’s salt video and thought I’d tthat  I used 1 tablespoon per 3 gallons I started this Tuesday  

I removed the substrate last week  I’ve been being meticulous with water changes so was trying to get lasts bits of sand with and saw what looked like another scale but it looked like a louse!    

I used Polyguad beginning yesterday and salt 1 tblsp per 3 gallons of water since Tuesday. 

Now this morning I see worms out his mouth? White strings they disappeared after a bit of swimming  (I woke him up) 

This  morning from is doing a lot of open mouth breathing which I think is unusual for him  

I got him 2 years ago, he’s usually active (except those times st the surface) and never misses a meal. I was using Bug Bites but determined it was too often and switched to mostly greens  15324404-1E1E-4036-9EA8-29A55D6FE815.jpeg.7552ad69b21ac73a3bc4875642fbaf67.jpeg

pics

video shows the strings this morning. 

I’ve been told the medication is working (today is the second day) because the worms may be expelling. 

Thank you so much for any help!!!! I’m happy to find this forum! I love aquarium coop!

8828830B-D583-4813-A72A-FB0A54E11984.jpeg

1B3156C5-1792-4775-A941-E74B299DBCDF.jpeg

2506E6C1-37E0-4720-8873-130931A5D682.jpeg

EE46ACF5-7E1F-4690-B762-620C8D2787AD.jpeg

6BE08B20-CCCD-4EAD-9003-FE8024E3227D.png

A7BE1295-A39C-464E-8BE2-EFC244AD76B0.jpeg

Thanks! I will check my parameters. 

he’s eating well and I have a couple extra air stones now. I use prime. I changed the water yesterday. He’s definitely rubbing on the glass bottom a lot!! This is new. I’ve never noticed him do this before. could this indicate that the meds are working?

I will return with paremeters!!

thank you so much for your help!

Reporting back. I'm not terribly surprised i have some ammonia. I've been changing water every day to keep it really clean.

• He is in a 40 gal standard tank alone 
  • temp 75.8 (I had it at 78 but have lowered it.
  • Ph 7.6    High Ph 7.4
  • ammonia 5.0
  • nitrite zero 0
  • Nitrates 5.0
  • I use prime with each water change.

50% water change. 2 little scoops of polyguard added for 20 gallons.  

Thank you for your help and time! I'm so grateful for the help!

other facts....He is eating well, as normal. He has been open mouth breathing but not looking distressed at times. He has been yawning a lot. 

My other goldie passed away a couple weeks ago. She was still rubbing  the substrate after the prazi. I think I overdosed the tank with too much prime and after a while I noticed her up at the top a lot which is very unusual for her. She was a little floaty/ryukin. I think she took in too much air and she became weak and was upside down. She was moved into a hospital tank where she passed after 1.5 weeks

Edited by Tabeth
added more info.

sorry....I forgot to add do you think I should keep adding the 1 tablespoon per 3 gallons? I did a 50 percent change today and have not yet added the extra salt.

On 4/11/2022 at 5:55 PM, Tabeth said:

sorry....I forgot to add do you think I should keep adding the 1 tablespoon per 3 gallons? I did a 50 percent change today and have not yet added the extra salt.

These mouth worms have appeared after starting the polypro for one day. I haven't noticed again. Maybe because he was sleeping i had seen them. 

he is a little agitated i think. 

Edited by Tabeth

Hello, Sounds like your have been able to identify your beasty, but one thing I would caution is how many water changes your doing. It is possible that your water source has Chloramine, that could be while your ammonia level is so high. Chloramines are particularly dangerous because when you use a great water condition that does chloramines, chlorine and ammonia, like Prime, it will convert the chloramine to ammonia, then the ammonia to ammonium, but prime only temporarily converts ammonia to ammonium, so your frequent changes and lack of plant life, your adding a lot of ammonia to your tank potentially, more than your bacteria can handle especially with the variety of medications and water changes. You should try doing an ammonia test on your tap water, or look up your municipalities water quality report to see. My water is very high in chloramine so I have transitioned to a heavy plantload low water change system just so I do not have to deal with that. 

I would try targeting specifically that parasite, I do not have my goldfish texts with me right now to try and identify it with the slides, I can try that later tonight or early tomorrow so you have a name. But a good guess would be fenbendazole if your current medications are not working.

With your ammonia that high daily 50% daily water changes and add a double dose of prime the heavily breathing your seeing could be caused by ammonia burn to the gills what I would do is treat with Fritz Expel p active ingredient is levamisole treat once a week for 3 weeks do a 50% water change before you dose leave the medication for 24hr then do a large water change you can keep doing your daily water changes to keep your ammonia levels down  while treating the parasites

Edited by Colu

On 4/11/2022 at 6:26 PM, GardenStateGoldfish said:

Hello, Sounds like your have been able to identify your beasty, but one thing I would caution is how many water changes your doing. It is possible that your water source has Chloramine, that could be while your ammonia level is so high. Chloramines are particularly dangerous because when you use a great water condition that does chloramines, chlorine and ammonia, like Prime, it will convert the chloramine to ammonia, then the ammonia to ammonium, but prime only temporarily converts ammonia to ammonium, so your frequent changes and lack of plant life, your adding a lot of ammonia to your tank potentially, more than your bacteria can handle especially with the variety of medications and water changes. You should try doing an ammonia test on your tap water, or look up your municipalities water quality report to see. My water is very high in chloramine so I have transitioned to a heavy plantload low water change system just so I do not have to deal with that. 

I would try targeting specifically that parasite, I do not have my goldfish texts with me right now to try and identify it with the slides, I can try that later tonight or early tomorrow so you have a name. But a good guess would be fenbendazole if your current medications are not working.

Hi! Thank you!!

I do have chloramine! And i was told that my chlorine was high because one fish used to float after each water change! So I started to double it and it went well. 

I had a ridiculously difficult time cycling the tank. It took months and it seemed like after the additional prime it finally was done! Now back to where I started. Previous I couldn't get the ammonia lower than .25.I'm so confused! I will continue with the polyguard since I  just started it this weekend. And I will read further!

Thank you so much! I wish I read this while I struggled! Bottle after bottle of bottled bacteria...ugh.

On 4/11/2022 at 6:26 PM, GardenStateGoldfish said:

I had tested my water a while back and i discovered ammonia on the faucet. I will recheck it again in the morning and I'd love to have your help with this!! Yes please!!!! I haven't seen any worms today but I'm going to peek at night when he's sleping. I am noticing his tail is slightly reddening...the veining. I'm so anxious about this. 

I added the extra prime tonight and many airstones. He ate well the little piggie. 🙂

Could this be lice? Something was hanging off Clem last week. I thought it was that little piece of “skin” hanging off but I wonder if a lice? It seems almost clear with some dots.  Video here: 

Update:

ammonia 0

nitrite 0

nitrate 5.0

Temp 72*

water Chang yesterday 50% (changed water before testing. )

prime

4 scoops of the Polyguard. Day 3 of first treatment. Yesterday he was open mouth breathing for an hour is so. Adjusted airstones, seemed to stop and isn’t doing it this morning. . 
eating wonderfully

lots of swimming  could he be agitated? Definitely rubbing the glass bottom now  

the aquarium dude 🙂 said based in on my first pic he’d guess anchor woRm. (Other thread I made in a panic attack. 
 Could this be worsening? Or improving?

Other meds were recommended above. Continue with this? If anchor worm I know this won’t treat. 

Other pics on the other thread  (sorry!)

Haven’t got the paraguard but ordering this am. Discontinue the poly guard?

Thank you! 

ABC3B282-576F-4116-BF05-6043E11E72FC.jpeg

Edited by Tabeth
More info added.

It's difficult to tell of your pictures the white thread could be an anchor worm not 100% sure that what it is hikari cyropro  treat's anchor worms paraguard won't treat anchor worms I don't think your other picture is a fish lice it look more like it's rubbed it's fin ray