No more live streams?

I recently listened to the live stream (I listen to the podcast, or the live stream on my phone with YouTube in desktop mode. I might have missed something (I was setting up an aviary), but did Cory basically say he wasn't going to do live streams anymore? Does this mean that there will no longer be podcast episodes? Since the podcast is just the livestream in podcast format. I only ask because if that's the case, then I can just unsubscibe from it. If however there will be more podcasts, just by other people, then I'll keep it on my list. 

I like the direction he said he would be going.  As I build out my rack, I find I've been watching a lot of Cory's older videos.  They are so useful and it doesn't feel as chaotic as the livestream.  Plus, I'd rather be working on my tanks than listening about people's issues with them for 2 hours.  🤪  But then again, I don't listen on a drive or anything.

Sounds like he got in the cross hairs of the "Low2 cult" as I have grown to call them.  The only two bad interactions I've had on the forum have come from that group.  At least one was bad enough I think it resulted in some bans being handed out.  Not to me.  Thankfully!  I don't think he is going to be able to avoid conflict with them.  Cory seems to be very much a live and let live sort.  Do what works for you.  Enjoy this hobby.  That is antithetical to the ethos of my way or the highway.  And any acceptance of outside ideas feels like a threat to folks like that.  I'm mostly sorry he feels it so hard.  Especially because he doesn't deserve it.  So, I am glad he's doing what he needs to.  I'd be glad for anyone doing what they need to in the same circumstances. 

• Like 9

I like the more video less livestream direction.  I seldom get to see them live so the rambling chat becomes less engaging.  I found there are some best practices in fishkeeping, however, no 2 of my tanks run the same or are maintained exactly the same. That’s one of the things I love about this hobby. There are so many different ways to achieve success. If it was just one way of do xyz and be done it would not be the delightful and interactive hobby I love so much. Kudos to Cory for walking away from negative influencers. The internet contains great info but way to much negativity.  It is just not healthy in my opinion. Looking forward to more of the awesome videos. 🤗. …and those heaters 😁

• Like 5

On 4/11/2022 at 8:01 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Sounds like he got in the cross hairs of the "Low2 cult" as I have grown to call them.  

That's why I've started calling it denitrifying filtration, anoxic seems to trigger a lot of people and illicit a lot of disingenuous responses (not so much here as on YouTube). I had no idea people were bringing Cory's wife and such into it, that's terrible and counterproductive. 

My intent is to show people how I've achieved success using the system and people can use or disregard the knowledge. To each their own.

• Like 5

On 4/11/2022 at 5:01 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Sounds like he got in the cross hairs of the "Low2 cult" as I have grown to call them. 

I heard Cory mention them a stream or two ago. I've never encountered cult-like behavior around it so I was surprised. I've definitely seen it around a few other things though.

• Haha 1

On 4/11/2022 at 12:13 PM, modified lung said:

I heard Cory mention them a stream or two ago. I've never encountered cult-like behavior around it so I was surprised. I've definitely seen it around a few other things though.

For some reason I pictured a group of grump old men yelling at clouds led by Dr Novak when I read that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/11/2022 at 10:48 AM, R Budds said:

Don't get me wrong I have a lot respect for his work but sometimes he stereotypes himself with his rants.

Ah, I haven't seen them. I've only watched 2 or 3 of his videos a few years ago. I very much believe the tone and behavior of an expert, or whatever we want to call them, either influences or attracts a certain type of follower that isn't all that great sometimes. So much respect to you for not falling into that side of it.

I've been thinking about trying out some kind of denitrification chamber for my bare bottom tanks. If do I'll probably ask you some questions on your thread.

• Like 1

I'm waffling between my curiosity and ignorance is bliss...  Based on my experience in other fandoms/communities, I'll just stick with ignorance for now and make some assumptions. 

But to speak in generalities, and not at all about the specifics of this situation, everyone needs to find their happy healthy place within a community. No one should ever be bullied out of their space, but if a place becomes unhealthy, steps must be taken to assure happiness and mental health. Sometimes that's easier said than done, but I applaud all attempts to do so. Nothing but support for whatever steps are needed. 

Edited by zelibeli
  • Like 2

Honestly, everybody is free to do whatever type of filtration that works for them. I don’t understand why people are pushing so hard for one type. I believe a combination of Aerobic and Anaerobic with plants is the best. That might not work best for everybody but it’s my opinion.  

• Like 1

The irony is that @Coryhas professed his love for undergravel filtration and yet here we are. The scientific voracity of his arguments can be discussed, people can agree to disagree but man leave the personal attacks at home. Don’t tell me he’s not profiting from his channel. He may be an evangelist for his methods but it doesn’t mean he isn’t taking the YouTube tithe that comes through. 
I am glad @Coryis doing what he wants to do and can’t wait to see future build videos. Best of luck!

• Like 3

On 4/11/2022 at 10:53 AM, Cory said:

I'll still be doing the members only show. Which is a live stream format. The goal is to start uploading those to the podcast for now.

Thanks for the reply Cory. I'm glad that the podcast will continue. It's something that I've grown to enjoy and have actually gotten other people at work listening too. The livestream makes a great podcast 👍 

I just watched the video that explains why @Cory is moving this direction and I WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE. Social media IMO is a total drain on positivity- this is why I'm not a member because I refuse to give my money to social media platforms eventhough it supports ACO (when I do watch videos I never look at the comments because inevitably I want to punch a few people). I do understand that business basically can't turn away from social media in these times but there are definitely ways to approach it and what Cory is doing is definitely one. I turn my support to buying when I can- which when done right anyway is more than the membership fee. I'm ok with being left out of the club things, and discounts- it's a consideration I had to make- but if I'm ever able to become a member in another way/just through the store or forum, I'd be happy to pitch in. I've never been part of any social media platform and I don't consider this one at all because it IS positive and the overwhelming majority us agree to disagree when necessary without getting nasty and when there are those who are a little on the edge they get called out on it and either change their tune or eventually they get banned or fade off (probably because "ignore user" starts to get used). So thanks Cory and the WHOLE team that helps make the engine run- I'll support you however I'm able!

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2022 at 10:53 AM, Cory said:

I'll still be doing the members only show. Which is a live stream format. The goal is to start uploading those to the podcast for now.

Thanks, I don’t always stick around for the entire stream but I really enjoy hanging out in the chat while I’m doing tank maintenance. 
Keep up the good work!