Pond Update and Help

Liquidreel

Update on my moms pond, I felt as though this requires its own post because it’s now a new situation. We have lost most of our inhabitants of the pond. Now left with three small feeder comets, one 2 inch shubunkin, and one 2 inch comet. It’s a 40 gallon pond with two large sponge filters that have a 60 gallon rated air pump.

We want to restock the pond but not sure how to go about it since a disease likely wiped all of our fish out. Do we treat the remaining fish with Med trio? Also if we lose the rest before the meds get here, how do we sanitize the tank to get ready for new stocking? And as for restocking, another option could be do we add our new fish and med trio them all to quarantine the new ones as well?

Parameters 

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 10

Ammonia: 0

PH 7.2

No Hardness test

Outdoor pond in central California. 

0CF51302-87AD-44E3-B66C-A38174313AC6.jpeg

Edited by Liquidreel

• Administrators

I think getting the ones you have now healthy is the right start before adding more. If you think about it logically, If you had 3 dogs who were sick, would you get 3 more, and quarantine them all to try and get 6 pets healthy? That's just harder than getting the initial 3 healthy, then doing it again later, if something goes wrong you have more time to dedicate to it.

As for adding more fish, make sure you are aware that the fish you have now will already be quite the load for a 40 gallon pond. Adding more will require more work. 

You could remove all the plants and use salt at 1 tablespoon per gallon to treat any external bacterial and fungal infections. Then change water and do the trio. Or you can just wait for meds to arrive.

21 minutes ago, Cory said:

I think getting the ones you have now healthy is the right start before adding more. If you think about it logically, If you had 3 dogs who were sick, would you get 3 more, and quarantine them all to try and get 6 pets healthy? That's just harder than getting the initial 3 healthy, then doing it again later, if something goes wrong you have more time to dedicate to it.

As for adding more fish, make sure you are aware that the fish you have now will already be quite the load for a 40 gallon pond. Adding more will require more work. 

You could remove all the plants and use salt at 1 tablespoon per gallon to treat any external bacterial and fungal infections. Then change water and do the trio. Or you can just wait for meds to arrive.

Thanks Cory! I shall try and find some appropriate salt in the mean time since my order is due to arrive on Monday. I am off to write some product reviews to say thanks!