Cherry Shrimp Changing color

Zodiak246

They do change color a fair bit. Lighting, water chemistry, lifestage, food, stress . . . all of these are factors. When they multiply, young shrimp do not always have the same level of vibrancy as adults. In time, some color up very well. Others tend to lean towards wild-type colors over a few generations. Cull if you want color!

Along the same lines - we recognize the shrimp lose color if conditions change, but besides culling what can be done to bring back the vibrant color?  IS it just culling the line or selecting out the best to start out a new line of more vivid colors?  Can you aid this process with additives or food?  My line of Cherry's has dimmed over generations and I am wondering how to bring them back.

On 4/12/2022 at 10:20 AM, Tedrock said:

Along the same lines - we recognize the shrimp lose color if conditions change, but besides culling what can be done to bring back the vibrant color?  IS it just culling the line or selecting out the best to start out a new line of more vivid colors?  Can you aid this process with additives or food?  My line of Cherry's has dimmed over generations and I am wondering how to bring them back.

Other than culling, the best method I'm aware of would be to introduce superior stock from another source.

• Thanks 1

On 4/12/2022 at 11:20 AM, Tedrock said:

I had an odd thing happen. I bought low grade color red like lowest speckled red. Over time I started seeing deep red in a skittles tank where even the legs were solid red. I put some photos in my journal of them but can’t find them atm. 

• Like 2