goldfish not doing so well maybe ?

plantedAlex

my big goldfish Zeus here hasn't really been doing well this past week I've noticed him real sluggish lately doesn't really go after food like he normally does and he just stays in the corners most times. he doesn't really have spots on his fins or any red streaks....physically he looks like he always does.  he lives in his tank bar himself I really hope he's just being dopey, any insight would be helpful from the goldfish experts out there? should I start treating for something? 

6638099F-24F7-4E8E-86F0-522E9CAE5A46.jpeg

4EEF84DA-545C-4B8A-87B5-BAF399E6E038.jpeg

37F15C1D-6280-4355-9B60-B6100D9FE148.jpeg

• Sad 1
  • Love 1

On 4/8/2022 at 6:35 PM, Colu said:

What's your ammonia level notice any rapid breathing added anything new to the tank resently what are you feeding him and how often

haven't really noticed any heavy breathing on him and ammonia levels are at zero temperature usually sits around 73 to 75 degrees and not many changes really in the last few weeks 

when fish are lethargic it's usually because they are not well nothing jumping out at me I would do treatment of kanaplex in food just in case it's an internal bacterial infections

Screenshot_20210806-030958~2.png

Edited by Colu

since I've noticed it yeah he's been only hanging out in that area and I feed him a variety of different foods from peas to blood worms flakes and his base pellet is sinking 

On 4/11/2022 at 6:03 PM, GardenStateGoldfish said:

Does he always float in that position? 

based on his head size and peduncle placement and size, and (maybe) signs of damage on his dorsal fin, he looks like he could be a little floaty. he may be very tired if he is floaty. 

what type of food do you feed? sinking pellets? 

and yes the top of his fin looks a little discolored 

image.jpg

I would cut out the sinking pellets for a while, maybe also the blood worms. try to feed a high quality flake lower in protein to see if that may help. Pellets, especially sinking pellets, can be hard for goldfish to digest, since your oranda appears to have a high peduncle in ratio to his head, he could be more sensitive to swim bladder issues internally. His dorsal fin could be discolored because it’s often rubbing on the top or at the surface. 

Also I know you previously mentioned no ammonia, but if your able to double check, those bubbles at the top in your second photo can sometimes happen with ammonia, or many other things. sitting at the top is also a sign of high ammonia, although usually goldfish will develop black marks in the fins with ammonia which yours has not, so my first recommendation remains to stop the sinking pellets for a little, at least 10 days to see if things improve. 

On 4/11/2022 at 9:58 PM, GardenStateGoldfish said:

I would cut out the sinking pellets for a while, maybe also the blood worms. try to feed a high quality flake lower in protein to see if that may help. Pellets, especially sinking pellets, can be hard for goldfish to digest, since your oranda appears to have a high peduncle in ratio to his head, he could be more sensitive to swim bladder issues internally. His dorsal fin could be discolored because it’s often rubbing on the top or at the surface. 

Also I know you previously mentioned no ammonia, but if your able to double check, those bubbles at the top in your second photo can sometimes happen with ammonia, or many other things. sitting at the top is also a sign of high ammonia, although usually goldfish will develop black marks in the fins with ammonia which yours has not, so my first recommendation remains to stop the sinking pellets for a little, at least 10 days to see if things improve. 

the bubbles at the top of the tank are most likely due to the meds that I put in in a attempt treat a possible bacterial infection I tried a small dose of API erythromycin currently I've been doing a 30% water change about every other day i'll keep an eye out on that food lower his protein level thank you