Resealing 40 breeder

Simon25

I am resealing my first large tank, a 40 breeder. I have done 10 gallons in the past but I have heard that bigger tank need more attention. I was hoping to get some insight if I need to take the trim off or not and if so do I need to add glass braces to the top so the frame doesnt warp. Any insight on resealing would be greatly appreciated!

I resealed my 50 hex and I personally removed the trim, although for different reasons. In my case it was because the trim was pretty badly degraded and needed to be replaced entirely. I had the tank on EVA foam while I was working to protect it and didn't brace anything while I was working on it. This shouldn't be an issue for a 40 breeder, but for taller tanks look into a respirator rated for fumes. Many of the ones used in resealing sink to the bottom and if you're leaning in, it can get pretty rough even for acetone.

The important thing for sealing larger tanks is making sure that the bead of silicone is an appropriate size. The guideline that I used was the width of the glass plus a few mm extra on each side. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 2:37 PM, Simon25 said:

Any suggestions on what to use to remove the silicone residue? Supposed to snow here tomorrow so using something strong outdoors isnt really an option. I think ive heard nail polish remover or acetone?

I've had good luck using a wire brush like this attached to a cordless drill. You just have to be careful getting near the trim if you're not removing it because it's definitely abrasive to the plastic.

• 4 weeks later...