Resealing 40 breeder

Simon25

I am resealing my first large tank, a 40 breeder. I have done 10 gallons in the past but I have heard that bigger tank need more attention. I was hoping to get some insight if I need to take the trim off or not and if so do I need to add glass braces to the top so the frame doesnt warp. Any insight on resealing would be greatly appreciated!

I resealed my 50 hex and I personally removed the trim, although for different reasons. In my case it was because the trim was pretty badly degraded and needed to be replaced entirely. I had the tank on EVA foam while I was working to protect it and didn't brace anything while I was working on it. This shouldn't be an issue for a 40 breeder, but for taller tanks look into a respirator rated for fumes. Many of the ones used in resealing sink to the bottom and if you're leaning in, it can get pretty rough even for acetone.

The important thing for sealing larger tanks is making sure that the bead of silicone is an appropriate size. The guideline that I used was the width of the glass plus a few mm extra on each side. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

This is very helpful and put my mind at ease. I dont think I will remove the trim then. I misspoke I guess. The tank is pretty much brand new but there is a leak at the bottom which I believe is just the silicone that needs replaced. I guess I should have said that instead of resealing. 

• Like 1

I think you used the right word personally. Regardless of the size of the leak, the old silicone does need to be removed due to the nature of the material. Old silicone won't adhere to new and that serves to make our lives harder 🥲

• Thanks 1

The respirator advice is very good. The silicone fumes can get pretty strong. Painter's tape is very helpful in getting nice crisp lines. (Just take it off while the silicone is unset.) It's not a fun job, but it's not horrible either. I've done it enough that I know what to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/17/2022 at 2:37 PM, Simon25 said:

Any suggestions on what to use to remove the silicone residue? Supposed to snow here tomorrow so using something strong outdoors isnt really an option. I think ive heard nail polish remover or acetone?

I've had good luck using a wire brush like this attached to a cordless drill. You just have to be careful getting near the trim if you're not removing it because it's definitely abrasive to the plastic.

So I think Ive got all the silicone I can. Used white vinegar to remove the last residue. One more good vacuuming out of the residual leftover silicone this afternoon. Tape it up and hope to silicone it this evening!

B6322B7D-ACB6-4D5C-87C5-27543252A72A.jpeg

Edited by Simon25
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well a little late on the update but I guess better late than never. Tank got set up no leaks. Has been running for about 2 weeks now so fingers crossed it remains in good working order. Added a picture of the filled tank that I hope to make a dutch style aquascape.

EDB2C26C-3DA1-42CD-8A15-E477AF0896B8.jpeg

• Like 2