Advice on which species to add to aquarium

FyaNyan

Hi 🐠 

I have a 30-ish gallon tank that I would appreciate some stocking advice. It has the footprint of a 29g, but it’s a bit taller. (30” x 12” 20”).

This is the current stocking: 1 blue gourami, 6 cherry barbs, 5 cory cats, and 1 BN pleco.

I’m planning to move the cherry barbs and blue gourami into a different tank all for themselves. This would leave me with just a pleco and some corydoras (which I may add more of).

I am considering adding either (1) angel fish, (2) or a medium school of emperor tetras, (3) or a large school of neon tetras

I do not know much about angel fish. Most people suggest to get a pair, but I am worried about aggression due to breeding. Do angels usually leave catfish alone? Is my tank to small for angels? Any suggestions for which option to choose?

Thanks everyone 🙂

Angels can get pretty big, but your tank is probably good for one, at least for a long time. Angels need a lot of height so your tank works out. Angels and cories is a pretty common combo, so that should be ok. The pleco is fine too. I would do one angel and one of the tetra schools.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2022 at 11:08 AM, Scapexghost said:

I would do one angel and one of the tetra schools.

This would be cool! I’m thinking one angel, too. I’d just have to decide which school of tetras to get. They’re both pretty in different ways. Thanks!

I've never kept one but hear that angels do great in a tank that size. I wouldn't keep more than one in that size tank though. A personal favorite of mine are giant bettas. From personal and shared experience they seem to have a better temperament than regular bettas and can be very gentle. I have a giant male in my 33gal community tank and he's great. They are stunning with their size as well, with being around 4 inches. 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2022 at 2:20 PM, hannah662parker said:

A personal favorite of mine are giant bettas.

I actually considered moving my regular betta, Ollie, into this tank as he seems pretty docile. But I rather like him in his 10 gallon. I think in this instance I would prefer an angel for now—that is if I decide for certain to do a centerpiece and not just a large school of fish.

Good suggestion, though! Would you happen to have a picture to share of your tank or your giant betta?

• Like 1

On 4/7/2022 at 1:19 PM, Colu said:

Just my opinion i think angelfish do better in deeper tanks.

Good to know. Is this because they don’t have a lot of room to turn around? Or some other reason? I’d love to know your experience!

I’ve been thinking today while at work and am still leaning toward a single angel and neon tetras because I’ve wanted both species for a while but did not have space for them in my other tanks. You mentioned 15 neon tetras without an angel; what would be the max, in your opinion with an angel? I may not do the max, but it’s nice to have some general boundaries.

On 4/7/2022 at 8:41 PM, FyaNyan said:

Good to know. Is this because they don’t have a lot of room to turn around? Or some other reason? I’d love to know your experience!

Angelfish have deep body's when full grown so the deeper the tank the better my friend has a group of manacapuru red angelfish and he keeps them in a 28in deep tank  they have plenty of room as they can be between 6-10in tall when full grown depending on the species of angelfish when you add substrate that will lose you another couple of inches that why I think minimum depth should 18in  just my opinion other people might disagree

Edited by Colu
  • Like 2

On 4/7/2022 at 8:41 PM, FyaNyan said:

mentioned 15 neon tetras without an angel; what would be the max, in your opinion with an angel? I may not do the max,

I wouldn't recommend neon's and angelfish together angelfish will eat neon Tetra's

On 4/7/2022 at 9:19 PM, Colu said:

I wouldn't recommend neon's and angelfish together angelfish will eat neon Tetra's

I totally wasn’t even thinking about this. Yes, I’ve heard that this happens. That would be no good! I agree. No little fishies with the big angel. Forgot how big angels were.

Hmmm...I have to think a bit more about what I want overall. I have four tanks currently, three cycled; but I’m rethinking my plans for all of them simultaneously. It will be a slow process, but I’m hoping to have the setups I really wish to have in the end!

Edited by FyaNyan

On 4/7/2022 at 10:14 PM, FyaNyan said:

I totally wasn’t even thinking about this. Yes, I’ve heard that this happens. That would be no good! I agree. No little fishies with the big angel. Forgot how big angels were.

Hmmm...I have to think a bit more about what I want overall. I have four tanks currently, three cycled; but I’m rethinking my plans for all of them simultaneously. It will be a slow process, but I’m hoping to have the setups I really wish to have in the end!

Taller bodied tetras should be fine.  Serpae tetras and lemon tetras are a couple of my favorites.  If you prefer the other body shape, I'm also a big fan of black neon tetras.  They get larger than the regular neon tetras, and I think they're just as attractive, though they aren't as flashy.

• Like 2

On 4/7/2022 at 1:35 PM, FyaNyan said:

I actually considered moving my regular betta, Ollie, into this tank as he seems pretty docile. But I rather like him in his 10 gallon. I think in this instance I would prefer an angel for now—that is if I decide for certain to do a centerpiece and not just a large school of fish.

Good suggestion, though! Would you happen to have a picture to share of your tank or your giant betta?

I personally wouldn't do a betta with corys. Some people might say I'm wrong but remember that bettas require temperature at around 80F and most cory species prefer their water in the low-mid 70's range. When putting species together definitely take into account their temperature ranges

Edited by Silhouette

On 4/8/2022 at 1:34 PM, Silhouette said:

bettas require temperature at around 80F and most cory species prefer their water in the low-mid 70's range.

Yes. Temperature is one reason I decided not to move my betta into this setup.

I actually realized I didn't have any pictures and took some over the weekend! My poor boy has some nipped fins right now but otherwisunnamed.jpg.208c1551249a3673df35e260ddc6d1a9.jpg165418696_unnamed(1).jpg.3a59e99acdf2eca5caeb051507cc9c60.jpg35491855_unnamed(2).jpg.28afc9b363a6a4c72362f2c85520186d.jpg1292868425_unnamed(3).jpg.a2d7249cea060ac2c4c011beee3c010b.jpg930998123_unnamed(4).jpg.4079feae4b902e7c5e50d14c5245f694.jpge he's so peaceful and happy in his big old tank. 

On 4/7/2022 at 3:35 PM, FyaNyan said:

• Love 1