Lighting

I am looking at ordering some better lighting for my tank. About a month ago someone (I'm sorry I forgot who) made a great recommendation of a reasonably cost one on Amazon. What I'm wondering is how this works with a hood. I have snails and cats. Both of which need a hood to keep them in or out respectively. Another question is which size I get. Do I want the light to span the full length?  It's a 29 gallon tank so 30 inches long. There is options for 18-24 and 24-30

Screenshot_20220406-222222_Chrome.jpg.1a6bed2e834b850d231859cdd94025b2.jpg

On 4/6/2022 at 8:23 PM, Cinnebuns said:

Do I want the light to span the full length?  It's a 29 gallon tank so 30 inches long. There is options for 18-24 and 24-30

I have a 29 with a light, I can show you the difference if you want a photo.

Get the light that has the longest LED span available. you don't want to rely on the handles or something to "make it fit".  Even if they had a 32" one, I'd probably say grab that.

I run a 24" light on mine.

...and I wish it was actually 28" long.

On 4/6/2022 at 10:51 PM, Scapexghost said:

These lights arent waterproof so youll need a glass lid. Size 30-38 is the best light to get. When lights have a range like this, the lower end is the size of the light while the higher end is with the legs at maximum extension.

Ok so sounds like to use my current hood, I would need something different?  Or is this style of light my best option and I would also need to get a diff lid?  Just a heads up. I'm pretty mechanically stupid so as simple of a solution as possible is probably best as long as it doesn't cost a million dollars lol

On 4/6/2022 at 10:36 PM, Cinnebuns said:

Ok so sounds like to use my current hood, I would need something different?  Or is this style of light my best option and I would also need to get a diff lid?  Just a heads up. I'm pretty mechanically stupid so as simple of a solution as possible is probably best as long as it doesn't cost a million dollars lol

Waterproof lights tend to be pretty expensive so id just get a glass lid. If this is the best light for you depends on the type of plants you intend to grow. 

I purchased a 30" TopFin glass lid for my 30" TopFin 37 gallon tank. It was about 1/4" too wide and needed to be trimmed down. I could have done it myself, but the local glass shop did it for $5.

I purchased a 30" Aqueon glass lid for my 30" Aqueon 20 gallon long tank. It fit perfectly.

The Aqueon lid would not have fit the TopFin tank, and the TopFin lid would not have fit the Aqueon tank.

Both lids are hinged and the more I use them, the more I don't like them. I have a holding tank hanging on the front of one of the tanks so the lid cannot close and is tilted up. My next lid will be a DIY sliding lid. 2 sheets of glass from the glass shop and 2 strips of PVC channel from the hardware store. The sliding lid would slide up to the holding tank and leave a much smaller opening that could be covered with a small piece of plastic. 

On 4/6/2022 at 11:39 PM, AndreaW said:

How about a picture of your current hood and light setup?

20220407_002909.jpg.a7aa83be8d59be5645f49a61e6112985.jpg20220407_002924.jpg.4f3687340f456f64a7ebd73fa386392a.jpg

On 4/6/2022 at 11:43 PM, Scapexghost said:

depends on the type of plants you intend to grow. 

I don't intend to get too advanced with plants at all. I'm not very good with plants. I'm def not going to buy a co2 system so I'm sticking to simple plants. Was mostly thinking a better light might help what I do have grow better.

Currently keeping:  Java fern, anubias Nana petite, tiger lotus, water lettuce, water wisteria. Just ordered:  amazon sword and crypt wendetii 

Have in fry tanks:  Java moss and marimo moss balls. Not necessarily going to upgrade those lighting just listing as part of the stock I guess lol

@Widgets my lid is what came with the topfin 29 gallon kit. Same with the lights. I am horrible with DIY stuff and barley know a Phillips from a flat head (the flat one is flat right?) so that's not a great option for me unfortunately. However, my uncle is so maybe I can pay him to do something idk. 

Edited by Cinnebuns

On 4/6/2022 at 11:37 PM, Cinnebuns said:

20220407_002909.jpg.a7aa83be8d59be5645f49a61e6112985.jpg20220407_002924.jpg.4f3687340f456f64a7ebd73fa386392a.jpg

I don't intend to get too advanced with plants at all. I'm not very good with plants. I'm def not going to buy a co2 system so I'm sticking to simple plants. Was mostly thinking a better light might help what I do have grow better.

Currently keeping:  Java fern, anubias Nana petite, tiger lotus, water lettuce, water wisteria. Just ordered:  amazon sword and crypt wendetii 

Have in fry tanks:  Java moss and marimo moss balls. Not necessarily going to upgrade those lighting just listing as part of the stock I guess lol

@Widgets my lid is what came with the topfin 29 gallon kit. Same with the lights. I am horrible with DIY stuff and barley know a Phillips from a flat head (the flat one is flat right?) so that's not a great option for me unfortunately. However, my uncle is so maybe I can pay him to do something idk. 

All those plants should do fine with the light you want to get.

Edited by Scapexghost

On 4/7/2022 at 3:36 AM, Cinnebuns said:

I'm sorry but I wanna make 100% sure this will work before I make the purchase. Is this what I'm looking for to work with the lights?

Screenshot_20220407-043521_Chrome.jpg

Thatll probably fit but i would get an aqueon brand glass lid just to be certain itll fit. I know you said you have a topfin tank but im confident it is an aqueon one. Aqueon tanks have clear silicone of the filter in the middle like your tank while topfin tanks have the filter on the right and black silicone. The light arrangement and feeding door size also match an aqueon tank.

On 4/7/2022 at 6:05 AM, Scapexghost said:

Thatll probably fit but i would get an aqueon brand glass lid just to be certain itll fit. I know you said you have a topfin tank but im confident it is an aqueon one. Aqueon tanks have clear silicone of the filter in the middle like your tank while topfin tanks have the filter on the right and black silicone. The light arrangement and feeding door size also match an aqueon tank.

Come to think of it you are right. I looked up which one petsmart sold cause I knew smart and co each do different brands and I thought that's where I got it from. I realized I did get it from CO. Amazing catch!  Ty so much for all your help!  You are amazing!

• Like 1