Honey Gourami or multiples in a 29 full of jerky male guppies?

PineSong

So, the Co-op's blog post on honey gouramis gave me an idea. As I've said before I am not loving my new 29g. It only has male guppy "overflow" in it right now, and once my platy fry are old enough to divide by sex, it will have either male or female platies 9but not both) in it, too.

I'm wondering about whether I could add one or more honey gourami to the tank. I thought they'd be big enough and perhaps stern enough that my bullyish male guppies would not try anything with them? I love gourami and would be happy to have some, but don't want to endanger them.

For those with gourami/guppy experience....bad idea? good idea? advice on how many gourami or sex?

I find guppy males to only be aggressive to other guppies and maybe mollies. They don't really mess with other species usually. I'd be pretty surpised if they did anything to a gourami. Id avoid male gouramis and stick with a female of one of the mellower species. Id do one gourami.

• Thanks 1

If you could sex them, I think a pair of a female and male honey gouramis would work great. Guppies shouldn't bother them at all, and they should eat the fry. I also think that a female betta could work, but it would be risky if you had long-finned guppies (as they could get nipped). I luck out with nice bettas a lot but there is always the chance. A short-finned male or female betta would do wonders on your number of fry. 

• Like 1