Jump to content

Wife let me buy a 55 gallon!


Sun.singh1991
 Share

Recommended Posts

Congratulations! That's awesome.

Step 1.... Corydoras. ūüėČ

Following that, I would ask a few things. What kind of fish interest you and your wife? Specific colors or personalities?

Do you have a stand for it as well?

When I got my 55 I did a large species tank (20+ of a one type) with corydoras and a lot of nice plants.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/6/2022 at 1:21 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Congratulations! That's awesome.

Step 1.... Corydoras. ūüėČ

Following that, I would ask a few things. What kind of fish interest you and your wife? Specific colors or personalities?

Do you have a stand for it as well?

When I got my 55 I did a large species tank (20+ of a one type) with corydoras and a lot of nice plants.

I have a stand for it. Just had to get it set up. I am thinking about doing Angelfish and one community fish. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Definitely a good fit because of the height of the tank. You do have to be slightly careful with angelfish because they are a cichlid and can be pretty feisty when they start to get a bit more mature. Especially the males.

Something like a neon tetra and an angelfish won't work and you're just buying expensive food for the angel.

Corys will be at the bottom, so those definitely still work. You might also not be able to have any shrimp just depending on the personality.of the angel.

Are you planning on anything specific for the scape? Wood, rock, etc?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

YAY!¬† Congrats!¬† 55 was my gateway tank back into the hobby too...¬†¬†ūüėČ

Love a good angelfish tank, add a smallschool of cardinal tetras, some corydoras (I'm partial to pandas) and some snails, and you'll have hours of entertainment!¬† ūüôā¬†

  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That’s a good size tank. If you go for nano fish you could get 5-6 schools. Here’s a few that I’ve kept and enjoyed. 
-Green neon tetras

-Panda corydoras 

-Ember tetras

-Male Endlers 

-Harlequin rasboras

-Honey gourami 

-Otocinclus 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Congratulations on the new aquarium , wishing the best and hope that you enjoy it  ,,, , I have a 55 gallon too and have had a mix of tetra  6 Corydoras and a  bristolnose nose pelco  and snails ,, 

My fish are very old but i am thinking of redoing my stock after they are gone i have feel in love with the bottom feeders  my  bristolnose, corydoras and snails ,.. thinking of  doing mostly a bottom feeders tank  mostly of  different kinds of corydoras  and bristolnose pelco and snails  & one type of fish for the ( middle of the tank swimmers )  I am thinking of tiger barbs 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oooh, congrats. I would love to have a tank that size. I would love to see a nice groups of diamond tetras in a tank that size, maybe with a school of smaller tetras like black neons, or some harlequin rasboras for contrast. If you wanted corydoras for the bottom, you could go with panda cories and keep with the black and white theme--all those fish will look amazing with some live plants!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is the same 55 set that I picked up when it was on sale, it's a good one!
Only thing is, throw away that heater ASAP or keep it only as a last resort back-up. It's terrible and you can't adjust the actual temperature on it since there's no labeled dial... so you have to turn the dial and guess, which is horrific that that was an oversight. Get yourself a nice adjustable quality heater instead.

Mine currently houses a bunch of juvenile female platys and their moms, and many different of snails. I need to get a bristlenose pleco and corys eventually...¬†ūü§Ē

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/7/2022 at 3:01 PM, Nyssa said:

This is the same 55 set that I picked up when it was on sale, it's a good one!
Only thing is, throw away that heater ASAP or keep it only as a last resort back-up. It's terrible and you can't adjust the actual temperature on it since there's no labeled dial... so you have to turn the dial and guess, which is horrific that that was an oversight. Get yourself a nice adjustable quality heater instead.

Mine currently houses a bunch of juvenile female platys and their moms, and many different of snails. I need to get a bristlenose pleco and corys eventually...¬†ūü§Ē

Yeah the Heater is trash! I overheated my water but thank god I didn’t have any fish in it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In my experience,  topfin thermometers are off by a few degrees. Mine read 3 degrees too high. I'd also spring for a better heater, or 2 smaller ones, given the volume of water. Tank looks nice!

You may want to consider a background, as simple as black window film. It'll make the tank pop, and hide all of the hoses and cords in the back.

Edited by quikv6
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/9/2022 at 7:14 AM, quikv6 said:

In my experience,  topfin thermometers are off by a few degrees. Mine read 3 degrees too high. I'd also spring for a better heater, or 2 smaller ones, given the volume of water. Tank looks nice!

You may want to consider a background, as simple as black window film. It'll make the tank pop, and hide all of the hoses and cords in the back.

Just picked up a Ehiem Jager 200 watt heater today. 

E68ED2C0-A71E-4D2B-AC13-77FCF54E80E9.jpeg

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Sun.singh1991 the tank is coming along very nicely. It looks beautiful, hope that you are enjoying the  tank. That is my current heater too. Have not had any problems with it,  I put mine on a temperature controller, when I had a smaller tank and different heater(one came with tank). The heater misfunction and fried my tank about 6 years ago. Ever since, I use a controller. Temperature  stays the same .and warns me if there is a problem 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your tank looks nice. I'd second the recommendation for background, window film or something that's one color.

I love my 55.

55 and 75 are the perfect sizes, I think, for people who aren't able to keep the larger tanks but want a nice big display. 75 gives a little more room for bigger fish but my smallish apartment spoke up and 55 it was.

Mine's full o' tetras.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...