Red Ludwigia Deficiency

On 4/6/2022 at 10:57 AM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @Mattlikesfish36

If we look at the chart above we see that the bond between the DTPA chelate molecule and the iron molecule is the easiest to "break" (and make the iron available to the plants) when the pH is below 6.8 - 7.0 so that is when I would dose.  -Roy

@Seattle_Aquarist thanks! I have been trying to read up on the topic and see your responses in forums way back in 2008! You have been at this for a while it seems 

On 4/6/2022 at 8:07 AM, Mattlikesfish36 said:

@Seattle_Aquarist thanks! I have been trying to read up on the topic and see your responses in forums way back in 2008! You have been at this for a while it seems 

I think my first posts were on Aquatic Plant Central and The Planted Tank back in 2008-2009.  Back then I didn't post a lot but was reading and learning as much as I could.  It took me quite a while to start to understand what some of the 'old timers' were saying about "watching their plants - they would tell us what they need".  Seemed like crazy talk to me at the time, - doesn't seem as crazy today.

Another thing I have slowly learned over time.......that all plant species do not have the same requirements.  Seems pretty obvious that plants grow in all sorts of water parameters all over the world and that some species are not going to adapt to the conditions I am offering in my tank.  I always give my fish the first consideration regarding water parameters (pH, dKH, dGH) and then try to find plants that I like that will grow and hopefully thrive in those conditions.  Some do, some don't in which case I try a different plant species.  I am destined not to grow some plant species but one that I am glad I can do is Nymphaea micrantha 'Gefleckt' which makes a nice centerpiece plant in my 75 gallon.  -Roy
731322729_2021-03-2275GallonDiscus(3)CroppedAdjSnSm.jpg.6c1e3fd886fb285d0586d98cda146ab0.jpg

• Love 1

On 4/6/2022 at 11:19 AM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

I think my first posts were on Aquatic Plant Central and The Planted Tank back in 2008-2009.  Back then I didn't post a lot but was reading and learning as much as I could.  It took me quite a while to start to understand what some of the 'old timers' were saying about "watching their plants - they would tell us what they need".  Seemed like crazy talk to me at the time, - doesn't seem as crazy today.

Another thing I have slowly learned over time.......that all plant species do not have the same requirements.  Seems pretty obvious that plants grow in all sorts of water parameters all over the world and that some species are not going to adapt to the conditions I am offering in my tank.  I always give my fish the first consideration regarding water parameters (pH, dKH, dGH) and then try to find plants that I like that will grow and hopefully thrive in those conditions.  Some do, some don't in which case I try a different plant species.  I am destined not to grow some plant species but one that I am glad I can do is Nymphaea micrantha 'Gefleckt' which makes a nice centerpiece plant in my 75 gallon.  -Roy
731322729_2021-03-2275GallonDiscus(3)CroppedAdjSnSm.jpg.6c1e3fd886fb285d0586d98cda146ab0.jpg@Seattle_Aquaristthat aquarium is beautiful (both plants and fish)! I’ll start dosing the iron tonight and keep my fingers crossed for improvement in my plants and no algae spike. Thanks for all of your help

• Like 1