My 1st fish to die in this tank :(

SarayParay

Hi. I am so sad. I have had this tank since mid-Juneish? She is my first casualty! I’m heartbroken.

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 5.0

20 Gallon Tall

5 Platies (4 females and 1 male) well now 3 females and 1 male

4 Zebra Danios

3 Nerite Snails

4 Amano Shrimp

Nothing new has gone into the tank. I took out 6 baby platy fry yesterday because I felt they were getting bigger and moved them to their own tank.

I am changing the water tonight even though I do a water change every Sunday night.

Help? 

07FC0321-A2AF-4C42-8687-F46D5363B7FE.jpeg

DB565E78-67D2-4DA4-9C86-D03832964290.jpeg

Wheres your PH at? What kind of sudsrate are you using? Just asking to get a better idea. Something to remember is that fish sometimes die completely out of your control. Could be genetics...could be any number of things, that have nothing to do with the way your keeping them. 

8 minutes ago, Speakeasy said:

Wheres your PH at? What kind of sudsrate are you using? Just asking to get a better idea. Something to remember is that fish sometimes die completely out of your control. Could be genetics...could be any number of things, that have nothing to do with the way your keeping them. 

For my PH it's always been at 7.8.

For the substrate I have the planted side with Eco-Complete and black sand.

I bought them from PetCo back in June. 😞

Thank you for replying.

I don't really see any thing wrong with your water perimeters. Your fish that passes looks like it had dropsy. Which is a symptom of a few things, internal parasites, infection or liver dysfunction. I don't see any signs of infection on the other fish. She probably just had a bad liver. But being that we cant see interal parsites; If it were my tank I run a full treatment of Paracleanse or General Cure (both are the samething just made by two diffent companies). Paracleans tends to be cheaper. Give it about two weeks and run a second treatment. If it was internal parasites, this should get rid of them in your other fish. The 20 packet box of paracleanse should be enough for both treatments on that tank.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Speakeasy said:

I don't really see any thing wrong with your water perimeters. Your fish that passes looks like it had dropsy. Which is a symptom of a few things, internal parasites, infection or liver dysfunction. I don't see any signs of infection on the other fish. She probably just had a bad liver. But being that we cant see interal parsites; If it were my tank I run a full treatment of Paracleanse or General Cure (both are the samething just made by two diffent companies). Paracleans tends to be cheaper. Give it about two weeks and run a second treatment. If it was internal parasites, this should get rid of them in your other fish. The 20 packet box of paracleanse should be enough for both treatments on that tank.

Okay, two weeks ago I did one treatment of Maracyn. 

I have Paracleanse so I'll go ahead and do that treatment because I don't want to lose any other fish. Hopefully it was just her, but better safe than sorry. It's okay to treat the whole tank, right?