Mystery Snail Mystery

Cinnebuns

Edit:  the 2 new ones have come out now. Maybe the older one is just on its way out which made me worried about the entire tank. Any ideas still welcome but it might be fine. 

I am at a loss as to what is harming the mystery snails in this tank. 

Ammonia:  0
Nitrites:  0
Nitrates:  10

I have had 1 in this tank for awhile. He got sick from being near rotting food about a month ago. I nursed him back to health. Within a week he was acting sick again. I worked hard to lower nitrates. Still acted sick. Took out some decor, no improvement.  Took out the marimo moss balls thinking the stuff building up on it was possibly bothering him. No improvement. 

I rescued 2 other mystery snails yesterday. They were active in this tank all day. I wake up and so far all day today one is staying in its shell and the other is floating on the top. 

I have mystery snails in a different tank that do great. No issues at all. I don't wanna put them together because the others are magenta females and I don't want them to mate. 

The glo tetras have been in there the whole time but are being rehomed soon so maybe they are causing some issues and that will help. Who knows?

20220404_140642.jpg

Edited by Cinnebuns

Ever see the tetras pick at the snail antennae? Could be an issue. Usually when a Mystery snail closes up tight or floats it's because they are trying to escape something in the water. It could be a parameter issue- up to and including minerals that they need that don't show on aquarium test kits. 

Copper was my next guess so I have put in a copper test kit order on Amazon. It will arrive on Thursday. 

I have never seen the tetras nip period including when they were with my guppy that has a large tail. That doesn't mean they aren't however. I have found someone to take them so if them leaving improves the issue then I'm ready to say that was the problem. 

On 4/4/2022 at 2:58 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Ever see the tetras pick at the snail antennae? Could be an issue. Usually when a Mystery snail closes up tight or floats it's because they are trying to escape something in the water. It could be a parameter issue- up to and including minerals that they need that don't show on aquarium test kits. 

On 4/4/2022 at 3:55 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Copper could be an issue definitely. Since we're going into a new season, municipal water can change. There are all sorts of factors that could effect the little guys. 

Ah I hadn't thought of water changes. The only thing that makes me hesitate to blame the tap is that the snails in my other tank are doing fine. It is however a larger tank, 29 gallons, idk if that could be a factor in diluting the copper or something 

Well you know, every tank despite similar water sources, rooms, equipment, plant load etc can test entirely different. Stranger things have happened!

I used to use the hot water to refill my water change bottles from the tap. Someone had mentioned maybe not do that as that could help the copper on the hot side leach. I figured that could be a possiblity so I stopped doing that. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 4:04 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I used to use the hot water to refill my water change bottles from the tap. Someone had mentioned maybe not do that as that could help the copper on the hot side leach. I figured that could be a possiblity so I stopped doing that. 

Yes!  I just learned that about an hour ago. Apparently hot water is more likely to contain copper. I do use a small amount of the hot side for mine but mostly cold. 

When the copper test comes in I will test all tank and then hot and cold tap independently. 

On 4/4/2022 at 8:21 PM, Colu said:

What's your kH because what your describing could lack of minerals such as calcium in your water

Ok I tested today. KH has gone down a little but is still at 12 which I believe is still fine. GH actually went up by 1 and is at 20!  Maybe KH going down is something I need to watch but I think thats still in a good range right? 8 min or something?

Also, to double check, if KH does become a concern, the fix is crushed coral in the filter right?  Wonder shells and cuttlebone only work on GH?