Sick BN pleco

JessLynne7

Nitrates 20pm

nitrite 0

ph 6.8 kh 40 gh 75

temp 76

about a week ago my pleco lips turned red. After a big water change (over 5-0 percent). It spread in two three days to his fins and top of her head. I managed to get so ‘‘em erythromycin. We are in day 5 and it’s not letting up. She’s around 3 years old. I’ve had her since she was small. She is eating still. I am thinking I need to dose kanaplex but am afraid I’ll be over doing it since I am already dosing.

please help - I am afraid she’s suffering 

19004A56-FE65-4639-BDBF-AC3023C00298.jpeg

B8E58998-8EB2-4173-9EE4-005613743E41.jpeg

• Sad 1

Here’s an old thread on this subject from another forum, some 15 yrs ago.

Keep water clean. Make sure you’re feeding variety. Maybe lightly gravel vac to ensure infection sources from substrate are nullified.

Note that the “med trio” CoOp recommends can all be dosed together.

Feed boiled zucchini slices, Vitamin-enhanced wafers, some mixed protein+veggie wafers, etc.

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Love 1

Fish folk - Thank you for the advice

i gravel vacuumed before I started treating and again on day three. I will try some more of that today.

I will also give the food a try. I have never fed anything to her other than wafers and I am learning now that I can do better

What your ammonia reading at possible ammonia or bacterial infections I would definitely do a course of kanaplex as it a more broad spectrum antibiotic that adsorbed thought the skin and gills wear as erythromycin only treats external bacterial infections unless added to food

• Like 1

On 4/3/2022 at 8:36 PM, JessLynne7 said:

Colu

thank you I will try the kanaplex. I also may try to mix the erythromycin with food. I have it here already so it is always worth a try

I wouldn't use kanaplex and erythromycin together you can add kanaplex to his food for a more effective treatment I would use repashy instead of pellets to make the medicated food

Screenshot_20210806-030958~2.png

• Like 1

On 4/3/2022 at 10:58 PM, JessLynne7 said:

I did not even know rapashy as a thing.

I just looked it up and that is perfect. I was wondering how I was going to get her to eat 

When adding antibiotic treatment to repashy they are not very heat resistant so mix the repashy till it starts to thicken  then quickly mix in the antibiotic before adding to a mold 

Edited by Colu

On 4/3/2022 at 10:08 PM, Colu said:

When adding antibiotic treatment to repashy they are not very heat resistant so mix the repashy till it starts to thicken  then quickly mix in the antibiotic before adding to a mold

quick update. I treated with Overthrow myosin for six days in the water. The kanaplex and focus came. I made some repashy and so far dosed twice with food. Her lips and head are back to normal color. She still has some redness and in her fins. She still eats and has through this whole ordeal so I’m hoping that she’s going to be good.

• Love 1

Erythromycin 

auto correct.

two days of medicated repashy killed my water so I had to do a change.

a lot of the redness is gone just a little bit left on fins. However it does look like one of his fins is damaged a bit. Hopefully the antibiotics helps

On 4/3/2022 at 10:08 PM, Colu said:

Colu

i did ‘‘em erythromycin in water for 6 days and the kanaplex came. I mixed it with food and dosed three days. First two days she eat it but last night she did not.

her mouth is back to normal color but now her fins look bad still.

I want to put kanaplex in water. Should I wait or should I go ahead and try it. She does have a small tear in one of her fins but I think she snagged it on the feeder stick I was using so I stopped using it.

image.jpg

• Love 1

On 4/8/2022 at 10:17 PM, JessLynne7 said:

Colu

i did ‘‘em erythromycin in water for 6 days and the kanaplex came. I mixed it with food and dosed three days. First two days she eat it but last night she did not.

her mouth is back to normal color but now her fins look bad still.

I want to put kanaplex in water. Should I wait or should I go ahead and try it. She does have a small tear in one of her fins but I think she snagged it on the feeder stick I was using so I stopped using it.

image.jpg

I would wait 24hr then dose the water column if he not eating the medicated food

On 4/8/2022 at 6:59 PM, Colu said:

I would wait 24hr then dose the water column if he not eating the medicated food

Saturday I dosed the tank water column with kanaplex. The pleco is still not eating the food or medicated food (up until this point she was).

I dowsed the full dose both realizing for scaleless fish I should have dosed less than the full amount. 
the redness is better gone from his mouth and body but still on the fins. And his fins are falling off. I thought there was damage to one but now both fins are just rotting away. Tomorrow I will dose again per labels instructions.

the increased food caused some havoc on my water I did a 5-0 Percent water change Friday and another this morning.

I am reading now after water change nitrate 10-20

nitrite is higher 0.5 and was higher before water change 

gh 75, kh 40, ph runs between 6.8 and 7.0

I really thought we were improving but it’s like trading one thing for another.

should I continue with the last two doses of kanaplex and wait a few days and try the metroplex I have.

I tried feeding it to her but she won’t eat not even with the garlic 

image.jpg

image.jpg

On 4/3/2022 at 2:58 PM, JessLynne7 said:

I just looked it up and that is perfect. I was wondering how I was going to get her to eat 

they should go for the soilent green variety. Most of them do love it. Just keep in mind it's like jello of sorts (depending how you make it) and if you only have one pleco you can make it the thickness of a normal wafer and the fish should enjoy that.

On 4/10/2022 at 4:08 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

they should go for the soilent green variety. Most of them do love it. Just keep in mind it's like jello of sorts (depending how you make it) and if you only have one pleco you can make it the thickness of a normal wafer and the fish should enjoy that.

Thank you she was eating the medicated repashy until Thursday night Friday she stopped eating, I will have to try that different flavor thank you 

On 4/10/2022 at 3:53 PM, Colu said:

Use the full dose of kanaplex half dose isn't very effective I have used full dose with bristlenose pleco before and not seen any adverse effect's

Thank you I will dose the full amount. Something is reeking havoc on my bio filter 😭

It’s ok. I think it was helping but she was just too weak to carry on.

I appreciate everything from everyone and I learned alot

now I have a new issue

i have a larger tank I am wanting to set up but will not be able to jump start bc I’m afraid their is Illness I’m my old filter media. I’m basically gonna nuke and start over. Any advice 

On 4/13/2022 at 3:01 PM, JessLynne7 said:

i have a larger tank I am wanting to set up but will not be able to jump start bc I’m afraid their is Illness I’m my old filter media. I’m basically gonna nuke and start over. Any advice 

best case is to run it plants only for a few weeks. run a QT treatment on the tank itself (med trio) and then add in your new biomedia, carbon, and let the tank run for 1 additional week. Then you start the cycle over again.

I assume there are other fish in there currently?

Edited by nabokovfan87

Sorry to hear he didn't make I would keep a close eye on your Betta if you see any similar symptoms I would do a course of kanaplex in food also could start your new tank using doctor Tim's ammonia to do a fish less cycle or you could add a small amount of fish food daily till you get ammonia and nitirte reading and then they go to zero and you get 20-40ppm of nitrate

Edited by Colu

Thank you

today I have 0 ammonia but my nitrites are around 1 and nitrates are at 20 so I am hoping my mini cycle is almost over.

I have been adding stability and prime.

the beta has some red stress marks but is eating so she received her doses of meds but the pleco stopped eating and did not. I was dosing the water until  My cycle crashed and I stopped.

he’s the only fish on there so I’m keeping a good eye. His behavior is normal except he is as over eating and eating the plecos food as well.

Tha k you again

On 4/13/2022 at 9:49 PM, JessLynne7 said:

Thank you

today I have 0 ammonia but my nitrites are around 1 and nitrates are at 20 so I am hoping my mini cycle is almost over.

I have been adding stability and prime.

the beta has some red stress marks but is eating so she received her doses of meds but the pleco stopped eating and did not. I was dosing the water until  My cycle crashed and I stopped.

he’s the only fish on there so I’m keeping a good eye. His behavior is normal except he is as over eating and eating the plecos food as well.

Tha k you again

Ps the beta has had a saddle back white patch ( at least that’s what it looks like to me I do t think it’s his colors) and I treated him with antibiotics at same time with pleco