Pink Flamingo Cryptocoryne

Ok so I've tried before and failed miserably with a pink flamingo crypt - it's not easily available in the UK but it's available again from an eBay seller I trust but only in a tissue culture (same as the last one I failed with). 

I was wondering, would it be worth potting it up with some soil and growing it in a mason jar or something with sunlight or something like that until it grows to a decent size and then transplant into my tank?

I am thinking of trying this method with alternanthera reineckii 'mini' if it doesn't take off this time (another plant I've failed with a couple times before) but then with crypts I know they don't like being moved so not sure if it would do more harm than good?

At £10 plus shipping for a tiny tissue culture (around $13? Plus shipping) I can't really keep buying more just to kill it again 😅 but I really want some! 

Thanks in advance plant gurus

On 4/2/2022 at 1:59 PM, KentFishFanUK said:

Ok so I've tried before and failed miserably with a pink flamingo crypt - it's not easily available in the UK but it's available again from an eBay seller I trust but only in a tissue culture (same as the last one I failed with). 

I was wondering, would it be worth potting it up with some soil and growing it in a mason jar or something with sunlight or something like that until it grows to a decent size and then transplant into my tank?

I am thinking of trying this method with alternanthera reineckii 'mini' if it doesn't take off this time (another plant I've failed with a couple times before) but then with crypts I know they don't like being moved so not sure if it would do more harm than good?

At £10 plus shipping for a tiny tissue culture (around $13? Plus shipping) I can't really keep buying more just to kill it again 😅 but I really want some! 

Thanks in advance plant gurus

I definitely have improved my success rate with dirt substrate. 

I would probably not do a mason jar in a window, due to temperature swings.

I would have my water tested, so I knew what nutrients I have in my tap, and be able to make more informed decisions regarding dosing. Now that I am getting more plant dedicated, I am reading more of what Mmiller2001 has regarding dry ferts, dosing, etc, even though I won't be adding CO2, because the math is still good.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2022 at 9:23 PM, Torrey said:

I definitely have improved my success rate with dirt substrate. 

I would probably not do a mason jar in a window, due to temperature swings.

I would have my water tested, so I knew what nutrients I have in my tap, and be able to make more informed decisions regarding dosing. Now that I am getting more plant dedicated, I am reading more of what Mmiller2001 has regarding dry ferts, dosing, etc, even though I won't be adding CO2, because the math is still good.

Thing is - and this sounds a bit dumb I know - I want it to work without really changing much, my other plants are growing well and I have a nice mix of algae without getting too much of any one type and it seems kind of balanced so don't really want to rock the boat as such.

Are plants not good with temperature swings then? I know it can stress fish but I just assumed it wouldn't affect plants. 

If I were going to try another "red" plant other than what I have that's doing pretty good in my low tech tanks (I still have a piece of AR hanging on lol but doing pretty good with Ludwigia Super Red) I would use the @Guppysnail method and just float the culture in my tank....red plants like more light anyway. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1

I would also add if the plan is to add it to a tank say from the mason jar I agree with @Torrey not to do it- but more for the fact that- you move it from a mason jar that has whatever parameters it has to the tank, you're bound to get the typical die off/melt back and start all over again. 

I totally sympathize with not wanting to change anything though- so I think the floating trick is your best bet. If you have fishy nibblers you can float it in a breeder box. 

On 4/3/2022 at 1:11 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

If I were going to try another "red" plant other than what I have that's doing pretty good in my low tech tanks (I still have a piece of AR hanging on lol but doing pretty good with Ludwigia Super Red) I would use the @Guppysnail method and just float the culture in my tank....red plants like more light anyway. 

On 4/3/2022 at 1:29 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I would also add if the plan is to add it to a tank say from the mason jar I agree with @Torrey not to do it- but more for the fact that- you move it from a mason jar that has whatever parameters it has to the tank, you're bound to get the typical die off/melt back and start all over again. 

I totally sympathize with not wanting to change anything though- so I think the floating trick is your best bet. If you have fishy nibblers you can float it in a breeder box. 

Didn't even realise I could float it, that's a much better idea I'll try that! Thanks

• Like 1