Journal - 29G Black Schultzei Corydoras Breeding Project

Hello Everyone,

I've been trying to get my feet wet on the forums and not sure where to begin with this one.  Of note, I started with some smaller tanks, then got a 55G tank which eventually became a 75G tank.  I always had this 29G off to the side and in my room for my personal focus and enjoyment while the larger tank was intended for a more relaxing atmosphere.  Because of everything going on in the world, we ended up moving and the result of that is that I'm in a house now where there is probably 2 spots in the entire house where the concrete floor is actually flat. (I really hate it when people who don't know what they are doing, think they can just add a floor to their house or add rooms).  Needless to say, whatever is up with this house, it's been a bit of an issue.

So, I can't setup the 75G tank and I am down to only having my 29G tank with some of the inhabitants from that original 79G, and namely my black corydoras that called it home originally.  I purchased these to try to have some passive income, enjoyment, and it's been a heck of a journey trying to get them to a decent spawn.

I have raised two fry, but I should have a tank flooded with these guys.  They spawned for me about 5-6 months ago and there was a massive amount of eggs everywhere. By the time I had ordered the egg tumbler and breeder box, about half the eggs were fungused over and then at that point they started to just deteriorate or be eaten at night. (that pleco was moved to a 10G tank I have off to the side to help with algae)

*deep breath*

This tank is also the focus I've been talking with Bentley about his "one tank a a time" series.  Before the move, all is well, after the move, fish in tubs for a while, and once I needed to drop heaters back in for winter I had no choice but to setup this tank for them again. Once i got the tank setup, I hit the reset button a bit on the substrate, moved in some different plants, and tried to recover some of my anubias that had been with me for years at this point.

1.jpg.14b2256d3e1245d9fb80d23da504cb83.jpg

At this point is what you see here. After the eggs were gone, a little bit of black and brown algae started to set in.  I had stuff under control, made an adjustment with the lights and ended up with the following.

2.jpg.ce511101c3c016cd167cd44d9517da54.jpg

Once we all got sick this past January, my tanks lost power and things got even worse.  I was in a different room with the pups and it took me far longer than it should've to see the issue with the filter. My 10G crashed, shrimp died, pleco died, but thankfully my 29G had turned back on and seemed to be doing OK. The exception being that algae which had now insanely overtaken everything and I had longer strands of hair algae, staghorn algae, BBA, and the brush algae on everything.

20220311_162240.JPG.1b55e35e4a9f6fa2d4a3dcf11efb4396.JPG

I decided to order from aquahuna and got some amanos in. I had cleaned out the local store of their amanos (insanely small size) and replenished the 10G tank with their algae team.

After a few days.... this is the same plant in the photo above.

3.jpg.931ce5af21bdf9b3b6e0cc6687e76d2c.jpg

Yesterday, before cleaning, I took this photo shown below just to show where things were really at. There is some algae on the sides (I won't scrape it because I want the otos to have it.  I also want to get the filter intake cleaned, but it's just a nightmare at this point.  The wood is slowly being cleaned by the shrimp, the rocks and plants were their focus up front.  So at this point in time the tank is a bit better off and feels like we're getting back to a "good spot".

4.jpg.8b977be8d6e6f1e45d13ca6717f9ec86.jpg

After cleaning, current status, this is where we are now.

5.jpg.11a833ceeb88247b26ffafb8bdac3df7.jpg

A lot of the fish besides the corys hang out in their caves all day, but let's talk a bit about the scape, stocking, and why some of the choices are what they are.

Current plan: Dwarf Hairgrass carpet, Sterogyne Repens off to the left side (light will be centered at that point), moss on the wood and on the back wall, and some Anubias Coffefolia for the corys to lay eggs.

Stocking: 3x Black Schultzei Corys, 2 Cory fry, 2 clown plecos, 4 Otos, "plenty" of amano shrimp, and my red tailed black shark names grace that has been with me for close to 5 years.

Scape: I have the Bubble bio as a focal simply because I like the ability to polish the water and it is very easy to clean. The shrimp enjoy it, corys enjoy it, it's been a successful tool for me in this tank as well as the 75G. On the back right side I have an airstone setup. The pump I have is slightly too strong and so I need a way to control the air a bit. I plan to replace the pump and remove the stone as soon as the co-op releases their usb-c version.  The stone is setup so that in a moment I can add the hang-on breeder box or the egg tumbler and not have to mess with too much as well. It's something the otos enjoy.  The rocks I have in here right now are Seiryu, something for the shrimp specifically, but these are also the rocks I had when I first started getting success from the panda corys.  I had some moss on the rocks, the fry can get into these really small crevaces and hide from the adults.  I have some other rocks I can swap in, but the goal is to get plants settled and hopefully the rocks themselves will just be more aesthetically there for the corys to swim around. They generally enjoy the open tank, and hiding out of sight of the room.  Once there are more plants I know they will relax a bit better.

At this point, I need to figure out what moss to use on the back wall. I want to get some susswassertang somewhere and I will absolutely need to find a good source for it.  That texture is what these corys prefer to spawn. Moss is definitely going to expedite the process but I truly believe in my 2-3 year journey with these guys that they will spawn on susswassertang without fail.  I have already ordered the quilted mesh to mount to the back wall to do so.  I've had mops in their tank (and tub) and haven't had much success. Believe me..... that moment I saw the two little cory fry hanging out after I had lost all the eggs was a momentous occasion.

20211205_112952.JPG.d746a801fefa7ca86cebe05248308065.JPG

This was the tank when it was first setup, for posterity. I was so excited to see it do well. I lost the DHG simply because it was not planted deep enough. Tough, but I re-ordered some more and learned that lesson. I am waiting for that Anubias to be in stock and I have an order ready to go for the co-op.

6.jpg.3a6ac752776b1f6e4d37b68ee69e6014.jpg

And of course..... The real MVP of this one.

20210917_142515.JPG.bc6da215912b1a2e9925f68623cc429c.JPG

Needless to say, I hope I turn a corner with this one pretty soon. I feel like things are getting back to where they need to be and I might have a really nice planted tank again.  It's been about.... 2 years I feel like, trying to get to this point and feel like I can get the plants where I want them to be.

This is tank right after setup and moving to the new house. A lot has changed since then but I had some high hopes for this scape and this setup. It's been a journey. I ended up losing all of these plants because I didn't plant them deep enough and the flow on the tidal was just too much (and the fish pulled some out).  I replaced all of these plants with 3 pots a bit on the right side. I added the rocks as cover on the right side for the corys as well as tried to salvage some of the anubias from the tubs.  I really enjoy the look of the tank in this photo specifically and hope to get back to it.

20210830_232001.JPG

Edited by nabokovfan87
fixed spelling and photos
  • Like 4

From the old house, this is from the files I have sent Bentley when I was struggling to get plants going for such a long time.

1413577054_29GTank-Overall.JPG.dd492295106ec5d93f27c1a418a6a298.JPG

I also have this of my old 75G tank, keep in mind it totally had crashed on me, but it gives you an idea of what I had and wish to get back to.  It was a high tech, heavily planted tank and my first real attempt to get back into the hobby.

1901289736_75GTank-Overall.JPG.28d086e92e3c52cbcab0bb1b1e961b53.JPG

Originally I had pogostemon stellatus octopus in the back/middle of the tank.  I had tried about 5 seperate attempts to get some scarlet temple going, it just doesn't like my water or something. I also enjoyed the bacopa caroliniana top down view. The right side was panda cory heaven and the left side was where Grace would hang out. I has some dwarf sag on the left there and it was all across the front of the tank. Anubias flowering all over the place but the tank itself was definitely a shadow of it's former glory.  I love that I've entered back into the hobby, especially now that I know what underwater plants are and I'm not taking the substrate out to do a water change with my mom. I loved our tank we had when I was a kid, but only now do I appreciate it and all the things we did.  Probably was a 29g tank too. Ironically. 😂

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Have you watched the YouTube video where Dean and Cory are walking through Dean’s fishroom and talking about “A Day in the Life of a Master Breeder” I think is the title.  About 1/2-2/3 of the way through he shows how to collect cory eggs and talks about how he treats them to minimize fungus.  Well worth watching.

Even if your floors aren’t level, as long as they’re strong enough, you can shim up and level your stand so you could still set up your bigger tank.

It seems.Ike you’re getting back on track.  That’s a good feeling when that happens.  Keep it going.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2022 at 1:22 PM, Odd Duck said:

Have you watched the YouTube video where Dean and Cory are walking through Dean’s fishroom and talking about “A Day in the Life of a Master Breeder” I think is the title.  About 1/2-2/3 of the way through he shows how to collect cory eggs and talks about how he treats them to minimize fungus.  Well worth watching.

Yes, I totally remember this. I will give it another look today. I've probably seen the tour 100x.  Roku youtube app loves to re-show it to me. lol.

On 4/2/2022 at 1:22 PM, Odd Duck said:

Even if your floors aren’t level, as long as they’re strong enough, you can shim up and level your stand so you could still set up your bigger tank.

They are already talking about moving again once more of the house is repaired.  There's a TV that was put on a wall where I would need to place the tank. I'm pretty sure it was placed there to stop me from having a place to put the tank but yeah.  When I say the floor isn't level.... it's the cement, the tile, there's a TON of issues and we are basically having to re-do work because of it. It's not a good situation.  Long story short, but I definitely don't feel comfortable shimming this one. The stand I have is from sauder/aqueon and it's a pretty good design with 5 legs. I can cut pieces of acrylic as a shim or use wood, but the floor is just so bad to the point where I would have 5 legs on the floor and maybe 1 touching completely. It physically is going to shift, the tiles are shifting over time, and it's not a great situation.  We've discussed getting a 40B temporarily if need be because it's much less weight and I've been looking at lowboys.  I plan to have the 75G set up in a different building, but it looks like the office isn't going to be a reality now and the pandas will need to keep waiting.  They are doing fine for now, I just know they love the bigger space.

I'm pretty sure the living room used to be the driveway. The backyard is on the opposing wall and it has a 3" step down that is also at a pretty severe slope and not true left to right. Once we get the floor repaired I can "re-evaluate" the cement itself, but it is just a pretty old house and the guy that modified it had no idea what they were doing, no permits, it's messy.

I'm not sure if this will work on your stand but I have a 120G on a standard big box store stand (I forget which one) that we enclosed and refinished and it's in an area where the floor is suspended several feet above the rest of the house (weird, I know). That said, over time, it's so uneven I had the same issue, 3 legs touched, 3 floated (I have the 4 corners with feet + two in the center). 

I add these or some equivalent to my tanks for this reason.

4 Pack Heavy Duty Leveling Feet, (4000 Lb Capacity)

I know it sounds precarious but, on several occasions, I've lifted on end of the full 120g tank with a jack from my car about an inch or 2, adjusted these feet until level and just lowered it back down. I wouldn't recommend the latter to everyone as it's scary to watch a 2000lbs aquarium lift off the ground, I've done it several times on a 75g and a 125g (long) as our floor settled, and it still makes me nervous, but it has always worked for me. 

(We once had to move a FULL 125G long to another room and naturally preferred to not move the fish and break it down, so we rented a lift table from Home Depot and removed 1/2 the water. It picked up the entire tank and stand and we just wheeled it over to the other room and refilled it-hardly troubling the fish. Honestly, it's scary to see at first but they do have rentable gear for duties this heavy and more.)

Since yours is empty these feet can make it work and they're for any weight. But your stand may require something different as the one above seems best for the classic wooden aquarium stand but there's many to choose from for the metal stands or any form imaginable. Just make sure you have the weight capacity covered.

Heavy Duty Leg Levelers

I added two for center support. Not sure if this is of any value for your purposes but I thought I'd mention it in case it's an option for you.

I hope you get it back as your tank was gorgeous! Good luck. 

• Like 2

I appreciate the info. There's definitely some options once they replace the tiles and redo the floor but I imagine it won't be for quite a while. The house has been under construction since we moved in and things are slow because of it. Long story but yeah, I really appreciate the information. Great to know some of the options especially with the weight on a 125G in play.

What's the expression, measure twice, cut once....

Get something done, do it right so you don't have to fix it a week later.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 1:38 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Minor update, fish are swimming up and down the glass all day. I am feeding a bit heavier, frozen brine, trying to egg them on to give me some eggs.

That’s what I noticed when my red sailfin (Venezuelan) Corys spawned Sunday. Mine laid their eggs near the waterline, mostly behind the HOB. 

66CCAB19-656C-4A59-990F-0A8B4A0C60B4.jpeg

E5CC2DC6-4B21-4C1B-9D7E-E6FF225AEEBB.jpeg

• Like 3

So I'm sitting here...

1 of the 5 Corys is doing the usual up/down on the glass and the others are watching. I dropped some wafers in and a very funny amano took off with one of them.

I can hear in my head the corydoras expert talk I saw where he says "be the fish". I see the big mom on the right side of the tank and she is moving towards the output of the flow.  The air pump is giving me oxygenation but the vast majority of the flow is from the HoB itself. I really feel like I'm going to end up going back to side-mounting this guy which means I need to find a lid that actually works. I will hopefully find someone who can cut some thicker glass for a glass one, but it means that the light and everything is going to not work as well.  The light I have is 6" narrower than the tank because that's the original setup I had.

Decisions decisions...

I got the stuff for the mesh back today, perfectly fine and I'm excited to do that. I've been talking with the moss store and it looks like I am going to be at risk of snails if I go through them.

I see the small bit of DHG retreating ever so slightly every time I look and it really just means something is off in the light and the dosing. I am tempted to turn up the light even more but I really need to get some more plants in there to thrive and absorb some nitrates.

I feel like this tank is so close to success it hurts.

Question, does anyone know a good source for lids that isn't custom aquariums or Amazon?

I do have this....

20220411_180017.JPG

Edit:  The powerhead was just way too powerful. The fish seemed to enjoy the flow, but it doesn't have adjustability I am looking for and it is fine to run for a weekend or something (try to trigger a spawn) but it won't be in there long term.  I ordered more dwarf hairgrass and some sterogyne repense.  Should be here soon.  I don't have any mosses yet, but that's still in the plan to use for the moss wall on the back of the tank.

Edited by nabokovfan87
Update

On 4/2/2022 at 11:40 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

20210830_232001.JPG

I got the plants in today.  I wanted to add some hygrophylia pinnatifida to the back left but I think there is a sourcing issue (Cory mentioned it on a livestream).  I removed the caves from the tank, hopefully grace is fine with that.  The plants came in pretty big, I found an amano that somehow got "too hot" when I was dropping root tabs.  I might need to do a shrimp count or something, but I haven't seen anything else struggling.  The Otos look to be doing ok (there is 1 that stays away from the swarm, smallest of the 4).  I tried the powerhead out, it just wasn't the right setup for the tank and doesn't have adjustable flow. 

So..... without further delay, here's the progress of the afternoon.  I will take some more pictures tomorrow once the filter can run, once the fish get settled a bit.  I did have one pretty critical question.  The dwarf hairgrass came in pretty long. Should I trim it? I see a lot of people trimming new plants to encourage growth. 

I also have the new co-op test strips and might have a KH issue.  I will keep an eye on it and dose whatever need be if I need to.

20220416_171832.JPG.c4facaf984eac364b7de5066d5182c98.JPG

20220416_171815.JPG.c1be54c8fe9eeec5ab3138c12822e3bc.JPG

20220416_171840.JPG.c749f61ceb070f56ca76e005b2ffc5af.JPG

I had taken out that secondary branch of the wood to try to scrape off the glue. Looks like I missed a spot.  I'll eventually get some moss there or the anubias, so I'm not too concerned.

Hopefully with the updates strips, I can better keep track of everything day to day and the ultimate hope is that I'm done planting DHG over and over and these ones take hold.

Edit:  Also, I have to return and reorder the mesh stuff from amazon. It didn't come with any suction cups so it's pretty useless in it's current form.  "Great" customer service.

I also was thinking about getting a lid for a 20H/55G to replace the one I have and move the filter to the side. It would leave a gap, which isn't great for the fish / shrimp. It does help dramatically with the flow of the tank. Still thinking it over.

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 4/16/2022 at 6:40 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I also was thinking about getting a lid for a 20H/55G to replace the one I have and move the filter to the side. It would leave a gap, which isn't great for the fish / shrimp. It does help dramatically with the flow of the tank. Still thinking it over.

I realized, because of deflection at the middle of the tank, lid might not fit.  (high probablility).

Updates from the morning:
20220417_103253.JPG.abdc3fe9ae18f606e2c176c06d841dd7.JPG

20220417_103246.JPG.f7ee615dbb8678f6264ac2a85fa12b0d.JPG

I had some of the sterogyne repens floating up top in the morning, planted it a bit deeper.  I am still thinking I need to trim off the hairgrass to encourage growth / expansion.  It's not something I usually do, so I am unsure.

I re-tested the water and KH seems to be ok.  PH is low, but that's normal.  I would expect that as long as water returns to normal and changes keep up, that everything will be stable.  I will end up adding some crushed coral on the next order just in case I need to have it on hand.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2022 at 8:59 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Question, does anyone know a good source for lids that isn't custom aquariums or Amazon?

I have an Aquarium Masters lid it has a clear middle seam vs black. I think their webpage shows retailers

61B65389-5A4C-4782-895E-A4ABFCC356B0.png

Edited by Guppysnail
Add pic
  • Thanks 1

On 4/17/2022 at 5:28 PM, Guppysnail said:

I have an Aquarium Masters lid it has a clear middle seam vs black. I think their webpage shows retailers

Looks like they sell via amazon (couldn't find it anywhere else).   The link I found gives me the option to have it cut to a specific size. So I can order something for a bigger tank and have it cut in half. (opens long way)

Definitely an option. Much appreciated!

image.png.9cfc19d2ce4005062e083c690804fc2a.png

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 4/17/2022 at 11:36 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

I have the HOB at one end and the Hydor at the other end. Nice counter currents. With a storm or cold water change bam mating magic

Yeah exactly, that's what I kind of hope is that I can use the pump or something to trigger behavior. I'll check it out, thanks 🙂

Edit:

I tried to order the lid, they didn't seem to understand so that just means I need to order the plastic hinge and go down to the hardware store and have them use their table to cut the glass for me.  I have everything to do it myself, I just don't want to mess with raceway and sliding. I want the lid to functionally perform like a normal lid.

I'm also in the middle of setting up an additional tank (moving one to the main living area from my temporary setup).

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 4/11/2022 at 5:48 AM, Ken Burke said:

mostly behind the HOB. 

They were doing up/downs again all afternoon.  I'm gonna have to check everything this time.... I swear they know how to hide the eggs so well from me.

Sidenote:  I'm going to buy moss on a 3d printed suction cup rather than the moss wall.... turns out the one on amazon fish tend to get stuck in. So........ that's out.

Edit:  I checked, fish are just messing with me! I had to move my 10G tank so it was better supported to a stronger surface.  The pandas were sitting there spawning and then I noticed that the surface was bent. 

I woke up, 3 of the black corys doing up/downs and Grace was just swimming around like it was a ski challenge and she had to swim through them. LOL.

Edited by nabokovfan87

Nice. Good luck hunting!

On 4/23/2022 at 2:59 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

They were doing up/downs again all afternoon.  I'm gonna have to check everything this time.... I swear they know how to hide the eggs so well from me.

Sidenote:  I'm going to buy moss on a 3d printed suction cup rather than the moss wall.... turns out the one on amazon fish tend to get stuck in. So........ that's out.

I woke up this morning to 4 of the Corys doing up-downs on the glass.  I had scraped it yesterday.  I really need to get a mop in the tank or some moss.  I'll end up making one today, I have a cork I'm going to soak just in case it leeches anything.  The plants seem to be melting, which is fine.  The sterogyne repens is completely gone and I'm hoping to see some new growth but it looks like it's just going to crash on me.  I have some crushed coral and catappa leaves on the way to add to the tank as well.  This lets me add some magnesium / KH for the plants just in case that is causing some issues, slightly raise the PH, then give the corys a surface to lay on if that is something they are still trying to find.

I found my glue, so I also was able to glue in all the anubias, finally!

It's a slow update, but it's a pretty critical one.  I feel like I'm so close to having the tank do well and get back to feeling like I know how to grow a plant. I've been dosing a lot more easy green, extended the lighting window, and I'm hoping to start seeing some results from this.  I also have been seeing some breeding behavior from the otos (not mating, but just the way they split off and follow one another).  I am working on setting up a tank in the living room with the family fish and hopefully will be able to move the RTBS depending what the store has in stock to fit the stand.

A final note, I pulled the air pump I had installed and replaced it with a lower power one to try to decrease flow.  I still want to pull the airstone, but need to completely replace the pump I have.  I tried adding my aqueon air pump, but it's dual output, I need a single, and its not strong enough to feed the ziss bubble bio filter.  The other one I have on hand is battery powered, or the nano air pump which isn't strong enough either.  This would give the fish a bit of a calmer spot where they keep doing the up-downs and a bit easier time trying to lay eggs on the glass.

I also went down the avenue trying to replace the lid.  Needless to say the "custom lid" didn't work because they don't understand what the word custom meant when I messaged them.  I looked up a glass shop, due to cost I'm likely going to end up making one myself.  I want to find the right hinge material, but for now I'm focused on the plants.

I'll include some detail pictures of their status in the next update. Fingers crossed on new growth.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 4/25/2022 at 12:55 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I want to find the right hinge material

Here is a post with a link to a website that sells Aqueon lid replacement parts. The hinge is currently out of stock. I'm sure there are other places that sell it. Note that it is black.

• Thanks 1

It's been a pretty hectic few days, week and a half or so, for me here.

We had another major construction project at the house randomly "get going" which resulted in drywall coming down, crap all over the air in the house, a lot of sneezing, cutting my finger via some glass dishes, and the return of my enemy of this tank....... Staghorn and black beard algae.

I ordered a 2nd time from the co-op, but let me give a quick TLDR breakdown of where we are at and where I need some advice.  I'm frustrated, and not sure which of the following would be the issue.
1. KH is "kind of low" if I don't change water, so I've added 1/2 a lb of crushed coral, probably slightly more, to the HoB filter in both of my tanks.
2.  PH is not really an issue, 6.5-6.8, but given that I'm adding crushed coral, I added some botanicals as a means to keep the PH where it currently is.  This also gives the corys a surface to lay eggs on and gives the shrimp a place to graze.
3. I've been VERY light with the food this week as an effort to encourage the shrimp to knock out as much algae as possible.
4. Because of the finger, I haven't changed water this week, I'll end up doing it today.  (usually weekly, this is going to be about 10 days)
5.  I've been keeping an eye on PH and KH with daily testing and I don't really see much change.

Questions and Possible reasons for this algae bloom:
A. I am dosing too much (2x weekly, every 3 days)
B. I am not changing enough water (weekly, 40-50%)
C. The light just isn't made for this tank (24" light, Fluval 3.0 Planted, on a 29G tank that is 30" long)
D. The light isn't set correctly for the load, which changed this week.  Meaning intensity or duration is off, or both. (see end)
E.  Plants just don't like the water and the algae thrives (I swear there is just something in the water here)

If you had the following issues, had just added a bunch of plants, what would your method be. Given the plants are melting, what would you do to try to save them?

Possible Solutions:
I. Add some more shrimp (8-10 currently, 2 otos)
II. Dip the filter, scrape the glass, dip the wood or spot treat everything as much as possible (see attached photos)
III. Lighting and dosing changes (see end, this is the current route)

I will start here with a reference to my initial post,  This is the same plant, currently.  The middle plant shown in both photos.

On 4/2/2022 at 11:40 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

3.jpg.931ce5af21bdf9b3b6e0cc6687e76d2c.jpg

20220502_083852.JPG.3437365397316fcf900ee1d707114ea7.JPG

I am also concerned with how well this algae is growing on this filter, I really want to clear this up.  I tried Hydrogen Peroxide and it didn't do much of anything on the wood.

20220502_084027.JPG.e0c934c6b4d081dc18e84c9acc7999cd.JPG

Because the light was shifting from the front of the tank to the middle section, the wood right below the light and filter have really grown a lot of algae back.
20220502_084205.JPG.a2a01ac4aedefa8e5dd382e2966aabd2.JPG

In terms of overall "health" of the tank and my fight against this algae, I look at the rocks and anubias to track down what is winning.

20220502_083832.JPG.efdf5ae3e8246265ad21b7f29566f2bd.JPG
20220502_084118.JPG.15af0dd557236c1ed0e9bbf8cc970e19.JPG

20220502_084129.JPG.c071fd742a7a5b2bbbce6a00bd01b836.JPG

The second plant I have trying to survive is the Stereogyne Repens.  The first photo is the 2 pots I added intiially. One of those pots was a pretty good quality, the second was extremely short and only had one stalk.  I purchased 2 more to replace them and have left them in the pots to give the plants a better chance to adapt to my water.

20220502_083758.JPG.2e5da8c41023d8600576c5520869ab87.JPG
20220502_083753.JPG.5a7e3270783a5d37a4a9f4782fe0a6f3.JPG

I really am beginning to get frustrated again, which is just the norm with algae, but I would like to make the right adjustments here in terms of "fixing" this issue.
20220502_083740.JPG.957ec6f2979825a063ae035a4f024a10.JPG

I may have mentioned it before, but I will mention it here again briefly.

I planted the tank last week, move the light location to be more central to the tank.  I increased dosing after 2-3 days of plants being in the tank, and I slightly increased the light intensity (5%) and duration (4 hour window to 6 hour window).

This morning I still have this feeling like the plants are not getting enough light.  I'll go ahead and re-test the water before changes and share the results below.  This is after dosing this morning.  I am also going to return back to adding the easy carbon daily.  I upped the pure white intensity from 80% to 90% to try to give the light a better chance with the water depth of this tank.  Because the wood is basically in the center of the tank and the plants around it, I'm concerned that the majority of the light might not be reaching where it needs to.  This is also where I go back to.... maybe this light just isn't the right length for this tank despite being the one that "fits" the tank via fluval's ranges.

PH 6.5
KH 50-60
GH 300+
Temp 71
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 40

I went ahead and did a water change again.  I was able to speak with Bentley on one of his streams and stuff and through a variety of questions, I've come to the conclusion that I need to reduce where I'm holding my nitrates at.  Instead of a level of 40 I'm going to drop down to about 10-15.  The unfortunate part is that this is very difficult for me to read on the test strips.

I also went ahead and got some zip bags (seachem and their stupidity amazes me sometimes).  I ordered the "medium size" and it's legitimately.... over a foot long and larger than the largest tidal bag they sell.  I would hate to see how small a small is, miss you John Pinette!  So I went ahead and split out the matrix back into its original back and then proceeded to stack the crushed coral in the new bags all rolled up.  Hopefully this helps a big with bypass too, but that media box is pretty stuffed at this point.

I will rerun some tests and edit the post below with the results.  Basically I'm tracking PH, KH, Nitrites right now.  Finger is healed up a bit so I can do a bit more now with my hands underwater. 

One other thing of note is that I went ahead and planted the pots of stereogyne repens.  I am keeping an eye out for new growth and I'm hoping the lighting tweaks have helped a bit with that to get the dwarf hairgrass and stuff going. 

I also found a rock to use for a submerged mop.  I had it in there for a few days already, but have since cut it a bit shorter to better replicate some moss on a rock.  I am trying to find a good place for it to avoid blocking out the plants.

On 5/2/2022 at 10:31 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

PH 6.5
KH 50-60
GH 300+
Temp 71
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 40

PH 6.8
KH 50-60
GH 300+
Temp 73
Nitrite 0