Shrimp tank in a water bottle?

BF McUmber

My aunt gave me this old local water bottle a few years ago (with a dead mouse in it). It's cool because it has their original logo. Besides just having it I didn't know what to do with it. Would it be dumb to try to make it into a shrimp tank? Maybe one amano,  a snail, cherry shrimp, and Java moss.  

I the mouth on it is only 1.25" so if I don't use the base plate I may be able to get a nano sponge filter in (and never back out). Hopefully a magnetic scraper would be strong enough to make it through the glass to clean it. And then water changes can be started the old fashion way.  What else am I forgetting? I welcome other creative suggestions too. I know it would be easier and cheaper to buy a tank but this is neat.

20220402_074352.jpg

• Like 2

I think this is a great idea. I would only fill it 3/4 so you have max surface area for gas exchange. Filling it to the neck may reduce o2 to much for shrimp. They make aquarium brushes long handles that are coated flexible metal that could reach in to clean if the mag float does not work.  I would probably rinse with hydrogen peroxide to eliminate any mouse waste yuck just to be safe. I hope you journal this if you try it. I would love to follow the progress. 

• Like 2

I would definitely try this. That water bottle is so neat.

Another challenge is to try to use it inverted so the logo displays right side up.

If maintenance does prove to be an issue with the small opening, I would check if a glass shop could cut the top off. You could then use it with or without the top. They make H clips that would align the top.

• Like 3

On 4/2/2022 at 8:35 AM, Guppysnail said:

I think this is a great idea. I would only fill it 3/4 so you have max surface area for gas exchange. Filling it to the neck may reduce o2 to much for shrimp. They make aquarium brushes long handles that are coated flexible metal that could reach in to clean if the mag float does not work.  I would probably rinse with hydrogen peroxide to eliminate any mouse waste yuck just to be safe. I hope you journal this if you try it. I would love to follow the progress. 

I I figured I would fill it to about an inch below where the tank starts to neck down. I was planning on bleaching it before starting, does peroxide work better in your opinion? 

On 4/2/2022 at 6:16 PM, BF McUmber said:

I I figured I would fill it to about an inch below where the tank starts to neck down. I was planning on bleaching it before starting, does peroxide work better in your opinion? 

Yes peroxide rinses clean. Even no rinse peroxide breaks to water and oxygen. It is safer by far. It destroys bacteria as well. I never use bleach. I clean my entire house with hydrogen peroxide. 

Edited by Guppysnail

On 4/2/2022 at 5:15 AM, BF McUmber said:

I know it would be easier and cheaper to buy a tank but this is neat.

Just a thought, I had a buddy who made his own candles from bottles. You might be able to find something nto cut the top portion of the glass off and then have a pretty unique tank.

The only thing I'd be careful of, especially with shrimp and the age of the glass, is if it starts to leech anything.

Looks cool and interesting, shrimp are too much fun.

On 4/2/2022 at 4:08 PM, BF McUmber said:

Well there goes the easy water change option

20220402_190739.jpg

There's a counter and the spray gun thing. Just use that. : 😉

On 4/2/2022 at 3:43 PM, Guppysnail said:

Even no rinse peroxide breaks to water and oxygen. It is safer by far. It destroys bacteria as well. I never use bleach

The bleach should either be removed by rinsing, air, or using the dechlorinator. You shouldn't have any issues in either use case. Especially if you're just patient and rinse it a bunch or let it run and let the chemicals leech out over time before adding anything.

Edited by nabokovfan87