Looking for 3/4" ID Rigid Tubing for Spray Bar

AndreaW

I'm trying to find a rigid tube that has an inside diameter (ID) of 3/4" that will attach to the outlet of a powerhead, that I can drill holes to create a DIY spray bar. Each powerhead is rated for 145 GPH, for a total of 290 GPH. I haven't figured out what size holes and how many I will need to have to soften the flow of water yet.

I'm thinking that if I can find a tube that is rigid, I can turn both powerheads toward each other (along the back wall) and have the tube connect them, I can create a whole wall of flow, rather than the concentrated flow from the two corners. So far, I can find 3/4" ID silicone tubing that is flexible, and 1" rigid tubing, but I haven't found a source for 3/4" ID rigid tubing. I think the uplift tubes are 1" diameter, and that would work great if I could find a piece about 36" long, but a 3/4" should work perfect without having to find something to adapt.

This is the powerhead outlet with the flow diffuser removed. It is round, and seems to be exactly 3/4".

IMG_1737.JPG.d3c933b18bfd233488fa8a1e3535f4d2.JPG

This is what I have in mind. Powerheads (in red), facing each other. Rigid tube (in green) suspended between the powerheads with lots of holes for water to flow out of.

1332609307_IMG_12924.jpg.fd8b0775f8cc81eb66877be9e29232be.jpg

I found some polycarbonate tubing many people use for light sabers, but I don't know if that's aquarium safe and some people said it looked a little cloudy. At this point cloudy isn't as important as just finding something that will work. I'm sure it will just grow some algae anyway, like the uplift tubes, which I need to replace as well.

I'm confused as it says it is 1/8" thick, 1" OD, 3/4" ID, which doesn't add up...

190245548_ScreenShot2022-04-01at11_04_46PM.png.87619df967c7b2fba515521c80a1e122.png

On 4/2/2022 at 1:15 AM, AndreaW said:

I'm confused as it says it is 1/8" thick, 1" OD, 3/4" ID, which doesn't add up...

I think you are forgetting that there are two walls to the hose.

1/8" wall

3/4" inside diameter

1/8" wall

• Like 2

On 4/1/2022 at 10:15 PM, AndreaW said:

1" = exterior dimension (it will have a tolerance)
3/4" = interior dimension (it will have a tolerance)
the thickness of the material on either side is 1/8"...

So you're looking at .75 + 2* (.125) = 1.000

@ Widgets & @nabokovfan87 ~ You are right. :classic_blink: I need an extra "Are you sure you have thought through this" button late at night before I post! I spent the night dreaming of rigid pipes! :classic_laugh:

I'll take a look at PVC, computer liquid cooling supplies. 

I was thinking further, and it definitely needs to be rigid. The silicone tubing would be flexible and would need clips (like heaters) to secure it to the wall, but this will be further away from the wall than a heater would be and I would really rather not deal with suction cups anyway.

My thought is that with a rigid tube, with a somewhat close fit, I can put it in place between the two powerheads and it will hold itself there as the powerheads are hanging on the back edge of the tank, and I have a back strip that is cut to shape around them. It should be easy to maintenance if I can do it that way.

Anyway, I'm off to Home Depot this morning and I'll see what I can find! Thanks for the ideas.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2022 at 6:57 AM, AndreaW said:

You are right. :classic_blink: I need an extra "Are you sure you have thought through this" button late at night before I post! I spent the night dreaming of rigid pipes! :classic_laugh:

I'll take a look at PVC, computer liquid cooling supplies. 

I was thinking further, and it definitely needs to be rigid. The silicone tubing would be flexible and would need clips (like heaters) to secure it to the wall, but this will be further away from the wall than a heater would be and I would really rather not deal with suction cups anyway

😂

What a lot of people end up doing to give some flexibility and placement is to have a small section of flexible tube and then fit that into the rigid piece. It can help it to seal and you end up with ties on either end or something to keep it attached. Doesn't look the best but that's what I've seen a lot of times.

People like eheim also sell kits. But between everything you're looking at you should be able to dean something up and follow a lot of what he's got in terms of his spray bar design. 😉

On 4/2/2022 at 6:57 AM, AndreaW said:

The silicone tubing would be flexible and would need clips (like heaters) to secure it to the wall, but this will be further away from the wall than a heater would be and I would really rather not deal with suction cups anyway

Nylon zip lies would work best and be water safe

• Like 2