How Many Fish Foods Do You Have?

RyanR

I buy a basic tropical flake in bulk through my local club when we have fish food buys a few times a year. I have a couple old food containers that I fill to feed from regularly and then I keep the extra in an airtight container in the freezer until I need to refill the containers. I also feed the Aquarium co-op fry food regularly as well. Foods that I feed occasionally (a few times a week) frozen blood worms, frozen brine, frozen daphnia, live blackworms, repashy soilent green and bottom scratcher. I have a lot of corydoras and plecos so I have foods that sink for them, along with peeled and deveined shrimp I cube up for the plecos that are more carnivorous.

12 hours ago, TheDukeAnumber1 said:

Just three foods here, and I do it Irene style, small portions are bottled off and the rest stays in the  original container sealed in a bag in the fridge. I feed live baby brine, Xtreme Nano, and Northfin Fry Krill Food.

Ah, I really like the glass spice jars you use to contain them! They're dishwasher safe and a lot easier to clean than my plastic fish jars. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheDukeAnumber1 said:

Just three foods here, and I do it Irene style, small portions are bottled off and the rest stays in the  original container sealed in a bag in the fridge. I feed live baby brine, Xtreme Nano, and Northfin Fry Krill Food.

20201015_173652.jpg.22fa6943fec691c1b33c7a6f9465a8e5.jpg

Where did you get these? I want something like this for my gecko food since I’ve broken 3 of the zip lok baggies they normally come in

4 minutes ago, Irene said:

Ah, I really like the glass spice jars you use to contain them! They're dishwasher safe and a lot easier to clean than my plastic fish jars. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

Thanks, it does work out nicely.

2 minutes ago, Steph’s Fish and Plants said:

Where did you get these? I want something like this for my gecko food since I’ve broken 3 of the zip lok baggies they normally come in

I get them from SKS-bottle. Mine specifically are the "clear french square glass bottles". The square ones site together nicely on the shelf :)

• Thanks 1

does anyone have a recommendation for 2 Butterfly Hillstream Loaches? We bought Hikari Algea Wafers for them and they are not interested. We tried hiding it from the other fish (mollies and glow tetras) and they didn't eat it. Im just afraid tank algae is not enough. One of them is hiding in the same place and rarely moves from that spot, I was thinking maybe he isn't feeling well from not eating? They are both tiny (1-1.5inches)

We feed out other fish: Extreme Krill Flakes, TetraMin Tropical Granules, New Life Spectrum Thera-A, Hikari Micro Pellets and BBS. 

25 minutes ago, Bekah said:

does anyone have a recommendation for 2 Butterfly Hillstream Loaches? We bought Hikari Algea Wafers for them and they are not interested. We tried hiding it from the other fish (mollies and glow tetras) and they didn't eat it. Im just afraid tank algae is not enough. One of them is hiding in the same place and rarely moves from that spot, I was thinking maybe he isn't feeling well from not eating? They are both tiny (1-1.5inches)

We feed out other fish: Extreme Krill Flakes, TetraMin Tropical Granules, New Life Spectrum Thera-A, Hikari Micro Pellets and BBS. 

try the bug bites pleco sticks, all of my fish go crazy for them including my loaches. 

4 minutes ago, yannachka said:

try the bug bites pleco sticks, all of my fish go crazy for them including my loaches. 

I will give these a try! How do you keep other fish from eating them so they can get a chance? I have never seen them get interested during a feeding time

Right now I'm feeding New Life Spectrum Float, Thera A+, and Algae Wafers, Omega One Shrimp Pellets, frozen bloodworms, mysis shrimp, and brine shrimp, and live baby dubia roaches.

My CPO and shrimp tank will feedings of Hikari Crab Cuisine and a broken up NLS Algae Wafer.

New Life Spectrum is my favorite dry/prepared food I've ever tried, the stuff is ridiculously high quality.

I have a bottle of Repashy Community Plus but I haven't remembered to prepare more of it.

3 minutes ago, Nataku said:

@varanidguy who's eating the dubias? I could see varanids eating them, sure. I fed them to my beardies, but what fish is getting that treat?

The small newborns my tetras, apisto, and even rainbows will take down. My archers eat plumper nymphs about the size of a medium cricket or a little smaller.

22 hours ago, Irene said:

Ooo, great topic! I'm a fish food hoarder because I like to try out different things and see what works best for my fish. 🙂 My favorite ones right now are probably:

• Favorite pellet: Hikari Nano - staple part of my community tank's diet that slowly sinks to feed all levels of the tank
  • Favorite gel food: Repashy Soilent Green - normally I'd say Community Plus, but I have a lot of algae eaters and livebearers
  • Favorite fry food: live baby brine shrimp
  • Favorite frozen food: I like them all! But maybe daphnia because I have lots of nano fish and it provides roughage 
  • Favorite freeze-dried food: recently I've liked Hikari tubifex worms because they break into smaller particles for nano fish
  • Favorite random food: Hikari Crab Cuisine - increased calcium for my amano shrimp (I prefer other shrimp foods for raising baby shrimp)

My refrigerator shelf:

20201015_134751.jpg.d61f54e46f8d2660a6ef86f472e9e8e9.jpg

My freezer shelf:

20201015_134834.jpg.c527dd575bd78c4c4ddfbf941ca9686e.jpg

Am I doing something wrong I added the repashy solient green and put a piece in my tank with my L333 and 8 dwarf chain loaches and no one ate it 

I mostly have live-bearers and feed the following products:

Repashy- Soilent Green, Community Blend

Hikari- Algae Wafers, Fancy Guppy, Freeze Dried Bloodworms, Crab Cuisine, Sinking Wafers

Xtreme- Krill Flakes, Pellets, Sinking Wafers

Fluval- Bug Bites (for small fish)

Zoo Med-  Banquet Blocks

spirulina powder (for the inverts)
xtreme spirulina
xtreme krill flakes
xtreme shrimp sticks (for the inverts)
shrimp king's 5 in 1 pack (for the inverts)
bacter ae (for the inverts)
repashy soilent green
repashy community
bug bites
tetra granulars color enhancer
hikari tubifex worms
frozen adult brine shrimp (spirulina fed) (I think san francisco brand)
frozen daphnia
frozen blood worms
frozen mysis shrimp
sera o-nip (the new ones) for my african dwarf frogs (which unlike everything else I own, the adf really seem to like it)

And during the summer and fall, I use larval form of mosquitos from my bird bath as live food.
Adult brine shrimp (live)
Baby brine shrimp (live) (trying this out)

... I may have a problem as I only own 5 aquariums
... and I may have recently thrown away 8 types of fish food due to age

Edited by Ben_RF
forgot a few more

I currently have about seventeen different types of food, but I still don't have the correct one for my newest fish. I'm feeding a very Nice Golden Wonder Killifish, I named Mr. Goldie in a five gallon tank with a Flying-Fox CAE. & 2 five-bar barbs. But I seriously need a small floating pellet or Frozen food for him and the others. Is there a food that is adequate for my fish please?

Always,

LeAnne M Pruitt

I love buying new foods for the fish/shrimp to try.  Always try to buy small amounts since I have so many brands.   Three tanks, 2 filled with various community fish and one shrimp only tank.

• Fluval Bug Bites Tropical Flakes
  • Fluval Bug Bites Tropical small granules. This and the one above are my fish favorite they hit these harder than anything other than live food.
  • Xtreme Krill - like this but I can't find a smaller jar and with only 2 tanks can't use it fast enough so might not get again
  • Hikari freeze dried Daphnia
  • Xtreme Sinking Wafer for the ottos/corys
  • Omega One Shrimp Pellets
  • Omega One Veggie Kelp Pellets. 
  • Omega One freeze dried blood worms
  • Repashy Soilent Green a favorite of the ottos but the shrimp love it too
  • Hikari Shrimp Cuisine for the shrimp tank
  • Frozen Brine Shrimp
  • Frozen Blood Worms
  • The special treat, in the summer I occasionally raise Mosquito larvae in a bucket to watch all my fish turn into baby sharks and attack them lol. 

Craig

I try not to have too many foods at a time so they will be fed while still fresh. Currently:

Tetra Color flakes

Xxtreme Krill Flake

Frozen blood worms

Frozen brine shrimp

Cucumber and zucchini slices for my bristlenose pleco

I hatch baby brine shrimp when I have fry

Edited by Woodyg3
  • Like 1

Currently what I'm rotating on feeding my crew:

Xtreme Krill Flakes

Xtreme Community Crave

Xtreme Nano

Xtreme Cat Scrapers - My bristlenose plecos, their fry, my khuli loaches, and albino corys LOVE it.

Tetra Community flakes

Omega One freeze dried blood worms

Frozen Blood worms

Co-op Fry Food

Zoo Med Pleco blocks

Zoo med shrimp blocks - extra calcium for my snails

Hikari betta pellets

Fluval Bug Bites shrimp

• Like 1