Are these healthy pea puffers?

Karen B.

Greetings!

I will be buying pea puffers soon to stock my 20 gallons.

I would ideally like to have 1 male and 3-5 females.

To reach that ratio, how many would you buy that could comfortably live together through quarantine and until I can sex them in my said 20 gallons? 

Second question, there isn’t that many place around here that sell pea puffers. Here is about the only place. I wss told they were captive bread but… I find that their belly look so sunken.  What do you think? This used to be a good quality place for fish but seems to be declining lately so I wonder… I find more and more dead fish when I visit, I know they have a problem with employees leaving, etc, etc.

On 4/1/2022 at 4:50 PM, Karen B. said:

Greetings!

I will be buying pea puffers soon to stock my 20 gallons.

I would ideally like to have 1 male and 3-5 females.

To reach that ratio, how many would you buy that could comfortably live together through quarantine and until I can sex them in my said 20 gallons? 

Second question, there isn’t that many place around here that sell pea puffers. Here is about the only place. I wss told they were captive bread but… I find that their belly look so sunken.  What do you think? This used to be a good quality place for fish but seems to be declining lately so I wonder… I find more and more dead fish when I visit, I know they have a problem with employees leaving, etc, etc.

Most if those little guys look dangerously skinny.  If an animal loses too much weight, it can cause liver or kidney damage.  I’d be very concerned about longevity in this group, even if they’re eating.

• Like 1

I agree with @Odd Duck. They look mighty skinny. Peas are supposed to have nice plump bellies. Aqua Huna sells pea puffers that come in groups of six. I got mine from AH and they came in really great condition as juveniles. You're likely to get juvenile peas wherever you buy them, so you'll have to eventually re-home any that show aggression as they grow, but if they're going into a 20 gallon, six is a really great number to have. Just make sure you have tons of plants and decor to break up the territories and the right ratio of male to female. 

On 4/1/2022 at 11:16 PM, Odd Duck said:

Most if those little guys look dangerously skinny.  If an animal loses too much weight, it can cause liver or kidney damage.  I’d be very concerned about longevity in this group, even if they’re eating.

Thanks. I did find them in not that great of a shape. It’s sad. They did tell me that they fed them blood worm and such but looking at their sunken bellies… 😟

On 4/1/2022 at 11:33 PM, Jennifer V said:

I agree with @Odd Duck. They look mighty skinny. Peas are supposed to have nice plump bellies. Aqua Huna sells pea puffers that come in groups of six. I got mine from AH and they came in really great condition as juveniles. You're likely to get juvenile peas wherever you buy them, so you'll have to eventually re-home any that show aggression as they grow, but if they're going into a 20 gallon, six is a really great number to have. Just make sure you have tons of plants and decor to break up the territories and the right ratio of male to female. 

Sadly I live in Canada and AH do not ship here. 😟

On 4/1/2022 at 9:40 PM, Karen B. said:

Thanks. I did find them in not that great of a shape. It’s sad. They did tell me that they fed them blood worm and such but looking at their sunken bellies… 😟

Sadly I live in Canada and AH do not ship here. 😟

Oh that's a bummer! Well your instincts were right, they're sadly not as healthy looking as they should be. Bloodworms are a great snack, but they aren't great as an only food source.