Fluval Stratum helped me grow this gorgeous algae

On 5/21/2022 at 7:36 PM, Cyndi said:

I'm surprised about Bentley's super low nitrates. So many variables...

I absolutely agree. It's such a.... challenge to know what "fixes" and what truly is the base cause for issues a lot of hobbyists are having.  It's one of the most discussed topics in the hobby generally because it's something we all run into.

On 5/21/2022 at 7:36 PM, Cyndi said:

I wish I had thought to turn down the lights! I guess I thought I needed to get PAR down to the bottom of the tank.

Yeah exactly! It could've been as much of a solution to turn it up and lets the plants progress just as much as it could've been turning it down.

• Like 2

On 5/21/2022 at 10:58 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I absolutely agree. It's such a.... challenge to know what "fixes" and what truly is the base cause for issues a lot of hobbyists are having.  It's one of the most discussed topics in the hobby generally because it's something we all run into.

Yeah exactly! It could've been as much of a solution to turn it up and lets the plants progress just as much as it could've been turning it down.

I think my plan now is to watch the plants and for any development in algae. I'm actually seeing algae begin to resolve on some of my anubias. I'm also watching for plant growth. I believe I've seen some, but it could be wishful thinking. At any rate, if all goes well in the algae department, I'll turn the lights up a bit later this week. 

The CO2 is not bubbling quite as much, so I need to tweak the recipe so it doesn't burn itself out. 

• Like 2

On 5/23/2022 at 7:03 AM, Cyndi said:

I think my plan now is to watch the plants and for any development in algae. I'm actually seeing algae begin to resolve on some of my anubias. I'm also watching for plant growth. I believe I've seen some, but it could be wishful thinking. At any rate, if all goes well in the algae department, I'll turn the lights up a bit later this week. 

The CO2 is not bubbling quite as much, so I need to tweak the recipe so it doesn't burn itself out. 

Are you using a co2 tank or making co2 with a reactor?

If you're using a tank and regulator. I was having issues with flow stability until I got advice here. 40psi has been the magic number for flow stability for me. Regardless of how many bubbles per second I run.

I've had my 5lb tank set up for over a month and it's very full still, running about 6bps for 9 hours.

On 5/27/2022 at 10:33 AM, Minanora said:

Are you using a co2 tank or making co2 with a reactor?

If you're using a tank and regulator. I was having issues with flow stability until I got advice here. 40psi has been the magic number for flow stability for me. Regardless of how many bubbles per second I run.

I've had my 5lb tank set up for over a month and it's very full still, running about 6bps for 9 hours.

No, I’m making CO2 with yeast - since it’s only supposed to last 5 weeks (running constantly) I’d think your tank would last a few months! 
I’ve never had co2 and I wanted to test to see if it’s so great and- yeah - I feel like I’m getting good growth- some co2 appears to be better than none. 
I think one problem will be maintaining co2 after a water change - it’s probably going to take days to build back up 

• Like 1