What's your favorite style of tank?

Jeff

The biggest issue for me, with unusual shape tanks is that the lids tend to be a PITA!  My 46 G bowfront lid had only 2.25” at the edges of the front opening.  Doing any kind of significant maintenance I had to remove the light, them remove the glass, then do the work.  Even scraping glass was a major chore to reach certain areas of the tank.  Very few people have an arm that’s only 2.25” wide.  Hex tanks are similar with very narrow lids, so anything more than feeding is a pain.  I’ve never had circular or half round tanks but imagine it’s likely to be similar to hexes.

They do look neat, but any curves distort the view and hexes offer less viewing than you might expect without moving all around the tank.  I like my tanks best when I can sit and relax for viewing.  Not have to shimmy around to get a better angle (although I still do that some).  Rectangle or cube for me unless something dropped into my lap for free or crazy cheap.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 9:11 AM, Jeff said:

Standard rectangle? Cube? Bow front? Circular? Peninsula? Hex? Other?

basically a 75G in terms of depth, or anything bigger. I also wish someone would make a 12" tall lowboy that is 2-4 ft square (I'm sure the corys would love that).  Right now they are 10" tall and it's just not great.

I like a standard rectangle, and my favorite so far is my 20 long. I think I would like a tank the same height as a 20 long but longer. I think I would like a 33long or a 40 breeder even better, because I'd love a tank that is longer but not much taller, but I've never had one.

I’m not a fan of bowfronts, cylinder, or racetrack for same reasons @Odd Duck stated. (Mostly the distortion)Never been interested in hex tanks but here lately maybe small enough right look to it could be used for wet plants. So it’s cube or rectangle for me. Although , IMO depth is much more important than height 75G favorite I’ve ever owned.