Resealing Aquarium

Myersc1989

Hi first post here. I just bought a used 20 gal high. I tested it for leaks but had none. When I got in the tank to clean it up I noticed that the seams were pretty shot looking. I decided to just go ahead and reseal it. I'm currently scrapping the seal from the inside and come across an issue. Everything I've read or seen says to scrape then remove any residue. I'm using 99% isopropyl alcohol or vinegar.  I can't seem to remove all the residue from glass visually. When I touch the spot it feels clean. So the question is can I go ahead and reseal it or do I need to get it off. Picture is off the worst of it.

20220330_152537.jpg

use a brand new square blade with some pressure, use the perpendicular pane of glass as a guide, the square end blade wont gouge the silicone between the pieces of glass.

I recommend the OLFA sold at lowes.  It works great and the blades are thin and sharp. I have resealed all of my tanks over 100 gallons and it has served me well.

• Thanks 1

When I resealed my 50 hex I used acetone from my hardware store alongside razor blades to strip the glass. The new silicone will only adhere to the glass and not to the old silicone, so it's important to remove as much as possible.

• Thanks 1

One tip, if you don't know already -- when resealing the silicone, place tape to define your edges so you get a clean edge and then remove the tape while the silicone is still wet.

Also, if you are buying silicone from a hardware store, make sure it doesn't have any additives to prevent mold, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1