Cory hybrids, what do I do????

Vexus

So I think my Cory’s are cross breeding. Do to bad luck my 3 groups of Cory have dwindled down to 3 singles. An albino, emerald and bronze. Today I found what I think are eggs in several places in the tank, originally I thought maybe my hillstreams layed them but after searching fish eggs I’m thinking it was the Cory’s. Iv searched around a little on google and most people have the same reaction that honestly I don’t find helpful. So I’m going to ask the question and I just want a straight logical answers without the usual “don’t do it” response please. 

THIS IS NOT A TROLL QUESTION PLEASE DONT TREAT IT LIKE ONE. 

Why is it bad to let Cory’s crossbreed? Is it dangerous? Will they kill everything in the tank? Or is it just some kind of interracial hatred issue being projected onto fish for whatever reason? Please just give me a straight answer and not a simple “it’s bad and gross, don’t do it” reaction. 

3A59FA43-11B5-4936-A88E-0E1D88B2E8B9.jpeg.50252ce60d526c56f2729733d6fba39a.jpeg
FC3F4E34-A53E-44D8-8BAD-C7630AA6ED0F.jpeg.940417723c752df9367279968d78f97c.jpeg

The reason people dislike interbreeding is because it makes it more difficult to find purebreds if interbreeding is common. So, if you have no intention of selling them, there is no issue. Bronzes and albinos are the same species so breeding them is no different then breeding different dog breeds together. It is not even hybridization. I have no clue if emeralds can breed with bronzes or albinos but even if they can i see no ethical issue. Hybridization happens all the time in nature. The fish are breeding of their own volition, it's not like your making some abomination in a labratory or something.

• Like 4

Thank you for that answers. It’s exactly what I was wanting in an answer. Straight to the point. Seeing as I have no intention to sell these “hybrids” if they even are then I’ll leave them be.  

Now about the eggs themselves, can anyone confirm if those are Cory eggs? My biggest reason for asking is because where the eggs are, Iv never seen my Cory’s spend time at. Their always laying under rocks or driftwood. Never “on top” of the filter or top corners of the tank. Honestly I’m really hoping their loaches but as Iv never bread fish before I can’t be sure one way or the other. 

So Iv been keeping an eye on the eggs and something I think to take note of. F7ECF9D4-6404-4AD6-A427-7A516F07CFB4.jpeg.0c30f8cafff003474253c69c2874ed9d.jpegThe hillstreams seem to be staying close to the eggs where as the Cory’s don’t have a care in the world about them. A591D92B-D064-4645-8220-88B87C048BE7.jpeg.be3a03c7b6547933ad38d6c19a58c0cb.jpegI also noticed a small group of eggs attached to the back of the filter itself and I have never seen my Cory’s go near that with the exception of the albino who sometimes likes to sit underneath it. Do hillstreams normally stay near the eggs or is that coincidence? Also do hillstream and Corey eggs have any major differences to tell them apart or is it all generally the same appearance?

As far as genders go, I can’t really tell with the Cory’s because I only have one of each but if my guess is right, the emerald is female while the bronze and albino are male. But again I’m not totally sure. 
The hillstreams though I’m 80% sure I have one male and 2 female.  But it’s hard to get them side by side for a good comparison. 

On 3/30/2022 at 6:12 AM, Vexus said:

Why is it bad to let Cory’s crossbreed? Is it dangerous? Will they kill everything in the tank? Or is it just some kind of interracial hatred issue being projected onto fish for whatever reason?

it might be dangerous if one of the internet fish-purity police reads this and faints while clutching their pearls.  😛

jokes aside I don't think (most?) people join the internet fish-purity police out of projected racial animus, I hope.  I think its for the reasons stated in previous posts and also out of a belief that its "unnatural" and we shouldn't be keeping"unnatural" things out of fish keeping (for whatever definition of unnatural).  from my POV you do you and as long as you don't sell some hybrid off for 400$ as some new rare species or something (basically fraud) I see no problems.

Can you post pics of your cories? They might all be the same species.  I’ve seen lots of “emeralds” that are actually bronzes.  Bronzes are Corydoras aeneus, AKA green cories, while true emeralds are Brochis splendens, which I don’t believe will hybridize with bronzes at all.  The majority of albino cories are actually just a different color of Cory aeneus, so your eggs, if they are cory eggs, are not likely to be hybrids at all.  I might be able to tell if you can get a clear enough pic of all 3 cories.  They don’t need to be in the same pic, just a clear side shot of each one.

Try for clearer pics of the eggs, too.  I can’t tell you for certain of those are cory eggs, but you have a much tighter clump than typical of cories in one pic.  Some of the eggs look too white, and possibly fuzzy.  If so, those eggs aren’t viable.  The cories don’t necessarily lay in areas where they hang out.  My cories lay mostly on the glass or wide, smooth plant leaves (sword plants mostly).  They spend their time mostly rummaging around in the sand along with intermittent cory zoomies and the occasional dash to the surface for a gulp of air.

Edited by Odd Duck
Typo
  • Like 2