Help breeding blood parrot + midas cichlid

HenryC

So I've had the female blood parrot for quite a while now (2+ years) and she's big and plumpy. Recently got this stunner of a midas juvenile and after feeding xtreme big fella for a few weeks his hump went BEAST MODE and now they were cleaning up a corner of my 75g and shooing away everyone, including my big oscar. They both have their reproductive tubes sticking out, so it is safe to assume they're about to breed?

I have no experience at all with big cichlid breeding, less with a specialized fish like a blood parrot, but I remember the females can reproduce right? It is only the males that are sterile.

Well I moved the couple to a 20g long all for themselves and placed a clean, flat plate for them to spawn. This is the way to do it with these big fellas rights? Anyone with any experience with these guys that can give me any tips, like what to feed, what chemicals to put in the water (if any, I read it is ok to put meth blue for the eggs right?), should I have more/less flow? Light? and should I take away the parents after they spawn? Also, do you think 20g is too small for them to breed? Should I move them to 40g breeder or will they be ok here just for breeding?275676859_268688278803010_7837510528999823261_n.jpg.218a69b939743997d1879fa35b076673.jpg

Thanks! I hope this comes thru, would LOVE to have some hybrids of these guys!

On 3/30/2022 at 2:00 PM, HenryC said:

I have no experience at all with big cichlid breeding, less with a specialized fish like a blood parrot, but I remember the females can reproduce right? It is only the males that are sterile.

I have two parrot females and both of them laid eggs. One was alone in the tank, without a male of any kind, and another was with a Green Texas cichlid male. In both cases they laid on the cleaned patch of the floor and on smooth rocks.  Also, a couple of days after spawning the second female killed her tankmate. Maybe she was unhappy that all the eggs were infertile.  I would keep an eye on your fish, just in case... if they lock lips, it could be a part of breeding ritual or life and death fight. 

Hope someone with more positive experience will chime in with better advice.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I give them 3 strikes and if they eat them the 3rd time I pull them. I used that with Bolivians and Lake Tangs as well as Apistos. Sometimes covering the tank with a blanket and not turning the light off so it doesn't startle them helps them not eat the eggs.  

Edited by Beardedbillygoat1975
incomplete sentence
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1