Adding Aquasoil or Change out substrate completely

sairving

Hey everyone!  Back in Mid February my 10 gallon tank cracked during a water change. The previous tank had aquasoil capped with pool filter sand. Currently, there's only pool filter sand in the tank (its all I had at the time). Root tabs have been added twice. I've lost most of the crypts and the melon sword is sort of hanging on.  Due to my hard water, I've learned plants do better with a nutrient rich substrate.  

My plan is to order some more Brightwell FlorinVolcanit substrate (it does not leech ammonia). Fluval Stratum should work too.

Would it be easier to remove the sand in sections, add the aqausoil, and recap with pool filter sand or just remove everything at once?  I'm trying to figure out the least stressful way for my fish. I'm also debating about a fine gravel over the soil versus sand.  

Edited by sairving

A lot of the time plants don’t do well in sand so I would switch it out completely. Crypts melt back extremely bad so when you add the crypts they should “die” for a while and come back. Also, when you put in that nutrient rich substrate, you won’t need to add root tabs

Edited by Beau Burkhalter

A few things will grow ins sand Amazon sword and the giant jungle Val or at least in mine. 

I have removed about half of a 20 gallon than and was surprised that the sand looked so bad. Decided not to put sand back. it was just to messing and it I didn’t do not like Just be careful to get the sand out well. I have found that in aquariums that it a good time to remove it all And replace