Cloudy tank Help

samanthacoffey

This tank has a fluval fx 4 set up on it. 
it is a newly set up tank, it’s only been set up for 5-7 days. 
it has a sand bottom & the sank was rinsed throughly. 
I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong but my tank isn’t clearing up it’s still staying cloudy/foggy. I feel like it’s to early for a bacterial bloom. 
it’s a 75 gallon, I don’t feel like filtration is an issue. 
I’ve did a 25% water change and it is still so cloudy you can’t hardly see through. 
what am I doing wrong? How long can this take to clear? How can I clear it?! 

2FD0F332-AC66-4A9A-9E52-93311ED2ECC4.jpeg

@xXInkedPhoenixX can a bacterial bloom start that early? 
it’s looked like this since we first filled it, and it’s really not improved in 5 days, it’s still kind of stayed the same foggy. 
I thought maybe it could be sediments in my water from tap or something. I always thought bacterial blooms took about a week to happen after setting up. 
It’s been like this since we first filled it, didn’t get better after 3 days so I took some water out to see if it’d help, and it’s not. 

It’s likely a bacterial bloom. After 5-7 days I would think all the sediment from the sand would have settled. Just wait it out and keep doing your routine is the best advice I can give. I find that the products that say they get rid of it just delay it.

Like @xXInkedPhoenixX said it’s easier to clear it by not doing water changes. I usually don’t do water changes for the first 2 ish weeks of setup to let the bacteria settle in.

@samanthacoffey yea you would think that'd been your sand but I would hope the filtration would have taken care of it. I mean it is possible that it's still floating if there's a LOT of flow if so maybe baffle or turn it down to see (if that's the case). Other than that though- I'd leave it with no water changes and see if it sorts itself out. 

You could add the plants now, they'll be fine, in fact they might even help. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX

I had something similar happen to me when I set up my 20g tank.  After only a few days, cloudy water.  The kind folks on the forum explained about bacterial bloom and convinced me to do absolutely nothing, which was very hard for me.  No water changes, no magical water clearing chemicals etc.,.  Sure enough, after about a week, I noticed the water begin to clear, and after a full two weeks the cloud was gone.