Filtration in the Nano Aquarium

Penny

Hi everyone. I'm brand new to the hobby and i'm looking for some advice.

I'm setting up three nano aquariums, I'm not sure if they will just be heavily planted but I love shrimp and snails and I would love a Betta in each

What is the recommended filtration?  I've been looking at external filters.. is it possible to split the input and output three ways and do them all from one filter?

Does anyone have any experience with a nano tank with no filtration at all?

I'd love to see any pictures of your setups 😁

Thank you so much in advance

At the moment they're empty. I have two at 2.65 us gallon/10lt and one 4 us gallon/15lt. I'm not sure how I'm going to set them up but have been looking at them like this and think it could be pretty cool and unusual 

20201015_162052.jpg

• Like 2

Two ways, one is to drill a hole in the tanks at the top and interlink all of them with bulkheads, then put the inlet on the tank at one end and the outlet in the tank at the opposite end.

Less intrusively. You can accomplish the same with some tubing. Place a 1" tube across the top of tank a and b, and another between b and c. Then use an air hose to suck out the air from the tubes. As before, inlet from the filter goes in one end, outlet in the other.

There is an inherent risk in the second option however. If your tubes are short, and for some reason the water comes out of them, then the tank that the filter is filling will over flow and the tank with the outlet to the filter will completely drain.

Edited by McNubbin
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forum!

I would keep it simple and just use some nano or small (depending on height) Co-Op Coarse Sponge Filters. I also like internal MF10s for moving water horizontally. You can go no-filter on some types of established tanks, but I would not recommend it to someone just starting out.

I have pico and nano tanks in my indoor aquariums journal, if you want some small tank examples.

Cheers

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Streetwise said:

Welcome to the forum!

I would keep it simple and just use some nano or small (depending on height) Co-Op Coarse Sponge Filters. I also like internal MF10s for moving water horizontally. You can go no-filter on some types of established tanks, but I would not recommend it to someone just starting out.

I have pico and nano tanks in my indoor aquariums journal, if you want some small tank examples.

Cheers

Thank you. Your tanks are beautiful, and just what made me want nano tanks in the first place.

I'm more than happy to stay with just the plants for a long time, maybe permanently. 

I'm thinking nano filters might be best. I'm in England, so no co-op filters for me unfortunately.

Thanks for your reply

• Thanks 1

You can buy various sizes of sponge filters from eBay in the UK.

Check out MD Fish Tank on YouTube. He's just set up a rack of 6 x 25L tanks, with a single air pump, air line splitters, and small sponge filters in each tank. He's based in SW England, if I remember correctly.

• Thanks 1

I agree with the others. I think your best bet would be three sponge filters, brand doesn’t really matter but look for similar qualities to the coop ones if you prefer that. I’d say get a larger air pump and use airline tubing and a gang valve to split the air to the tanks. You could certainly DIY some sort of way to connect the three tanks to an external filter, but I wouldn’t think it would be necessary. It would benefit to have more water volume but it would also make diseases more likely to transfer if something where to pop up. 

• Thanks 1

I don't think filters are a must on tanks. The setup you mentioned would have a very low bio load.  So I probably wouldn't run a filter at all. The only really big advantage I see with any filtration on that size surface agitation and biological filtration. But the plants should cover the slight bio load and if it was me I'd use floaters anyways so surface agitation is not a must. Just my two cents 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...