Can apistos live with a betta?

Connor

Im considering setting up a 20-30 gal tank with an apisto pair, some tetras or rasboras, some otos, and amano shrimp. My question is: would I also be able to add a betta to this tank without it causing problems with the apistos or will they be too territorial?

• Like 1

On 3/27/2022 at 5:13 PM, Connor said:

Im considering setting up a 20-30 gal tank with an apisto pair, some tetras or rasboras, some otos, and amano shrimp. My question is: would I also be able to add a betta to this tank without it causing problems with the apistos or will they be too territorial?

My guess is there’d be problems, but it is something you could _try_ as long as you’ve got a rescue plan. A Betta Imbellis might be a bit less aggressive that a betta Splendens. My Betta Imbellis below…

C8500BFA-E90B-4457-BA63-0156F560B8CE.jpeg.ca2f288b5d79772012a9527bc772ed52.jpeg

From a parameters perspective: yes.

In practice it really depends on the individual temperaments of fish. There are docile bettas who won't mind the apistos down below, but there are also bettas who may have it out for them. I've never had success mixing bettas with other fish, even in large (29 and 50 gallon) setups, but your mileage may vary. I would personally lean toward not doing this, but if you have your heart set on the setup it may be worth a try assuming that you have a plan B or even C in the event that they don't get along.

The best advice that I can give is to make sure there are multiple caves for the apistos and other line of sight breaks for the fish that may help to reduce tension.

On 3/27/2022 at 1:28 PM, Fish Folk said:

My guess is there’d be problems, but it is something you could _try_ as long as you’ve got a rescue plan. A Betta Imbellis might be a bit less aggressive that a betta Splendens. My Betta Imbellis below…

C8500BFA-E90B-4457-BA63-0156F560B8CE.jpeg.ca2f288b5d79772012a9527bc772ed52.jpeg

There would be a backup 5gal just in case for the betta, as well as plenty of caves and hiding spots for the Apistos. That betta imbellis is gorgeous! where did you get them from? Id also be looking into some betta breeding so how difficult are the betta imbellis to breed?

On 3/27/2022 at 1:31 PM, lefty o said:

when putting betta's with other fish, it depends entirely on the temperment of the individual betta. some can be placed with other fish no problems, others just wont tolerate other fish.

Agreed, I've had mixed success with keeping bettas with other fish/shrimp. I was thinking - if anything - a male betta with longer fins so they'd be slower and less likely to catch anything. But I would definitely have a plan B. Who knows maybe I can use it to convince my girlfriend to let me setup another tank 😀

On 3/27/2022 at 1:31 PM, ange said:

From a parameters perspective: yes.

In practice it really depends on the individual temperaments of fish. There are docile bettas who won't mind the apistos down below, but there are also bettas who may have it out for them. I've never had success mixing bettas with other fish, even in large (29 and 50 gallon) setups, but your mileage may vary. I would personally lean toward not doing this, but if you have your heart set on the setup it may be worth a try assuming that you have a plan B or even C in the event that they don't get along.

The best advice that I can give is to make sure there are multiple caves for the apistos and other line of sight breaks for the fish that may help to reduce tension.

Have you noticed any difference in aggression with male v female bettas? the male I had previously wouldn't hurt a fly, but the females I've had have all been cold hearted killers. 

I've not personally seen a difference. My 50 is the tank that had females in it and it was fine until the first one got egg bound. After that the tank turned into the thunderdome even with dither fish and plenty of territory to go around. That said, most of their aggression was directed toward each other rather than the dithers/other livestock.

My males were a crapshoot with regard to what they would and wouldn't allow near them. Two hated everything but bottom feeders and one hated everything that moved.