Random News and Photos from the Fish Room

I got requests from locals to buy about 70 total CPDs this week but because of a long period of low egg counts from an aging breeding group I don't think I have that many right now. Maybe I'll pick up another group and start a second CPD breeding tank. People seem to be getting tired of dead CPDs from the LFS and apparently people have been recommending me as a source for healthy CPDs. What kind of a crazy person doesn't like CPDs?

DSC03473-2.jpg.91b454f70b5029f9868d61098ba75615.jpgDSC03526.JPG.be67b71eae56562088dc604c715de53e.JPGDSC03504.JPG.9ac9e4d4e28ccb981a7b6089ffdb76ec.JPGDSC03463.JPG.0b3866f1a5bd8d16cd1bb435b4450026.JPG

Edited by modified lung
  • Like 8
  • Love 3

On 3/25/2022 at 10:54 PM, modified lung said:

People seem to be getting tired of dead CPDs from the LFS

This is how I got started breeding CPD a few years ago. The ones that were coming in to both my LFS were half the size of what I would be comfortable rehoming them. I noticed these guys go in waves. Sometimes it’s non stop demand then others folks were not interested and wanted big fish instead of tiny. I still love my original group that I also retired to a 20. 

On 3/26/2022 at 2:26 AM, Guppysnail said:

This is how I got started breeding CPD a few years ago. The ones that were coming in to both my LFS were half the size of what I would be comfortable rehoming them. I noticed these guys go in waves. Sometimes it’s non stop demand then others folks were not interested and wanted big fish instead of tiny. I still love my original group that I also retired to a 20. 

I think they don't respond well to shipping. It seems like if they haven't gone through shipping they can handle almost anything.

I've always wonder what causes trends like that. YouTube maybe? I've also noticed clear trends in the diseases people think their fish have. 

• Like 2

On 3/26/2022 at 11:31 AM, modified lung said:

I think they don't respond well to shipping. It seems like if they haven't gone through shipping they can handle almost anything.

I've always wonder what causes trends like that. YouTube maybe? I've also noticed clear trends in the diseases people think their fish have. 

I think you tube is a definite influence as well as tank sales etc. The diseases people think are present are a trend I noticed as well. There was even another post here once from someone from another forum. I think they asked if they seen a current increase trend recently in epistylis. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently yesterday I decided the light's screw on clamp needed to be extra tight because today the pressure cracked one of my 5 gallon tanks. Luckily there were no fish in the tank at the time and I was sitting right there when it cracked.

IMG_20220409_173723479.jpg.088aa3de7429865a2e241bcc90839853.jpg

In better news today I saw the flag fish I put in my outdoor tank for the first time since last fall. I thought for sure it had died but looks like they can over winter just fine here.

I've been doing lots of reading and experimenting with daphnia that's been going well. I put in 10 individual daphnia magna into this "tank" about a week+ ago and they are reproducing like crazy. More on this later.

IMG_20220409_151830727.jpg.771c632d28025596e2498f6ad5b4d5e5.jpg

Ever since they ended the mask mandate at my kid's school last month, he's been bringing home a new flu bug ever weekend.  With that and some back problems before that, which are now under control, I am very far behind on any fish related goals. 

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Not going to lie. I am super excited to order mine from Aqua Huna here in a week. Going to grab some meds and etc from the LFS here before getting them JUST IN CASE.
I really love these little guys and I am hoping that I can get them fat and happy in my tank and eventually get them to breed too. I have not wanted a fish more than these little guys lately. Thought about buying the emerald green rasbora but decided to hold out for CPDs instead...Don't let me down little guys!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 5/6/2022 at 10:03 AM, modified lung said:

@Torrey yep, those are azolla. Hard to get rid of like duckweed. But it makes good compost.

It's the one plant I killed without trying to 🤪

Mine was a brilliant red... until it wasn't 

On 5/6/2022 at 9:13 AM, Torrey said:

It's the one plant I killed without trying to 🤪

Mine was a brilliant red... until it wasn't 

Mine goes red when it's cold outside. They can't seem to survive under aquarium lights. With some plants there seems to be something about the sun they absolutely need.

• Thanks 1

A friend ships CPD with a plant, inside the breathable bags.

He said the only time any of his shipments didn't arrive at their destination happy, was when they got too warm. He had to experiment with wrapping the heat pack, and finally determined double boxing was better. He doesn't ship CPD from the first 80° day until temps are consistently back down to the 80's, and only ships the smalls (<half adult size) because the littles are more resilient to shipping and water parameter changes, like shrimp (he claims). They need to be offered food 6 hours after being acclimated, and he requires time stamped pictures proving the process was followed if a fish dies.

He said so far, he has only needed to replace fish that get lost in shipping. 

(Thought sharing his process and logic might help folx in here)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

Been working on a recipe for culturing greenwater using easy to find ingredients. This is a pure(-ish) chlorella culture that started last week with 100 mL chlorella scooped from a different jar. It wasn't doing much until I increased the aeration three days ago, then it went from almost transparent to this.IMG_20220531_194242744.jpg.09329b0d8689f5b315721b3f66c331dc.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 2

• 2 weeks later...