Plant identification?

On 3/25/2022 at 4:37 AM, anewbie said:

Can you get a better picture of the 'bulb'. Many mature sword plants will grow a rhizome which is not quite the same thing as a bulb. I am unaware of crypts that grow either bulb or rhizomes.

IMG_20220325_103542.jpg.509d62b8a73be46850ed155029f0afa6.jpg

On 3/25/2022 at 2:00 PM, anewbie said:

That is not a bulb; it is a rhizome. The difference is subtle at a smaller size but the rhizome will continue to grow and new plants will sprout from it. At some point you will be able to cut it in half to form two new plants.

It’s just growing sideway, isn’t it?  

On 3/25/2022 at 2:02 PM, Odd Duck said:

It’s just growing sideway, isn’t it?  

Well yes but i'm not sure what you are trying to say - i mean like a java fern the rhizome will grow elongated and leaves will sprout along it. The one for my ruffle sword reached over 2 inches after a couple of years. I suspect not all swords have rhizome but i'm not an expert here.

-

One big difference between this rhizome and java fern is it won't rot if burried.

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 2:04 PM, anewbie said:

Well yes but i'm not sure what you are trying to say - i mean like a java fern the rhizome will grow elongated and leaves will sprout along it. The one for my ruffle sword reached over 2 inches after a couple of years. I suspect not all swords have rhizome but i'm not an expert here.

I haven’t seen swords grown what I think of as a true rhizome.  They thicken and then sprout off smaller swords beside the main plant, they send of flower spikes and grow plantlets along the nodes, but I’ve not yet seen one grow a rhizome.

I’ve seen crypts grow runners and if the plants get old enough they grow what looks like a vertical rhizome.  If that is planted sideways it will throw off smaller plants and runners.

But this is a sword if I’m any judge by the pigment pattern and leaf structure.  I’ve never heard of swords having a true rhizome?  Have I been deceived?  😝 😉 

Here is a picture of the one on my ruffle that i cut:

r.jpg.89169fba0567e9ef5fb19d11b2a9285d.jpg

That is approx 1/2 inch long. On the original plant where it was (guess) around 2 inches long there were 3 or 4 places along the 'thickening' as your call it where leaves had sprouted including the original spot; the piece i cut off and a few spots in the middle.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 3:41 PM, Josh333 said:

Have no idea got some plants from FB group and that was in there just have no idea what I was lol

I think @anewbieis right.  After a bit more reading, I think it’s what passes for a rhizome in a sword plant, although there doesn’t seem to be a clear consensus if it’s a true rhizome. (Hello, Rabbit.) That sword will probably need to grow a bit more before we determine the species or variety with any degree of certainty.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 1:56 PM, Odd Duck said:

I think @anewbieis right.  After a bit more reading, I think it’s what passes for a rhizome in a sword plant, although there doesn’t seem to be a clear consensus if it’s a true rhizome. (Hello, Rabbit.) That sword will probably need to grow a bit more before we determine the species or variety with any degree of certainty.

Yeah I'll let it grow and see what happens

I need an ID on this crypt. They have out grown my 55. There are several grown from a single plant. Should the leaves float across the surface? I pulled one , thinking it would be better in my 75. Floating on the surface, it’s over 3 feet long.

CE7C3B30-0579-4447-8FA1-D19988528301.jpeg

On 3/25/2022 at 6:46 PM, TomO said:

I need an ID on this crypt. They have out grown my 55. There are several grown from a single plant. Should the leaves float across the surface? I pulled one , thinking it would be better in my 75. Floating on the surface, it’s over 3 feet long.

CE7C3B30-0579-4447-8FA1-D19988528301.jpeg

That might be usteriana?  Mine haven’t grown up enough for me to be sure, but they are known to get very big and have a rather red underside.  My best guess at this point.  I’m sure others will chime in with their opinions and thoughts.

On 3/25/2022 at 5:37 AM, anewbie said:

Can you get a better picture of the 'bulb'. Many mature sword plants will grow a rhizome which is not quite the same thing as a bulb. I am unaware of crypts that grow either bulb or rhizomes.

All Cryptocoryne which belong to the overall family of Aracea are rhizomatous plants. Meaning they all share this common feature of having a rhizome which can be more, or less pronounced, as in thicker, or slimmer but ultimately its roots protrude from it.

That said, just confirmed with a grower that Echinodorus 'Red Flame', and even 'Ozelot Red', and 'Ozelot Green', as well as 'Rainer's Felix' and 'Rainer's Kitty' can develop a rhizome. So my I.D. as well would be Echinodorus 'Red Flame'.

• Like 1

I have a red flame sword and the leaves pattern look similar but the leaf shape looks off but it could also be the angle of the photo. The thing about red flame is that there are a lot of different similar plants including ozelot green and ozelot red and worse there are 'throw backs' - it gets the point where the name is almost worthless because of the variance et all - at least in submersed form. Emersed form might be different - i never really looked into these plants emersed form to see if they had a larger variance.

-

Off topic but with swords and even more so with crypts the emersed forms can be so extremely different from the submersed form... some of these plants are truly magnificent in emersed form and rather 'plain' in submersed form.

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 1

I agree, the variants by now show only subtle differences, although with all these patterned leaf swords there is a definite trend by the growers to try to grow deeper red plants in which the mature leaf stays a deep red.

The differences in emersed and submersed plant really can be quite dramatic, especially in height, and sometimes the emersed will be more impressive, and sometimes vice versa; that's why paludaria have such appeal. One of my dreams I never really fully bore out was to create a a paludarium with both submersed and emersed plants of the same variety and bromeliads, and orchids in the emersed part as well besides bog plants. I think my wife is happy I'm down to just a few tanks now, so it may never be. Although I've got enough orchids accumulated through the years hanging out around the house that it would be easy to stock a tank.

Edited by Jungle Fan
typo

On 3/26/2022 at 5:54 PM, Jungle Fan said:

I agree, the variants by now show only subtle differences, although with all these patterned leaf swords there is a definite trend by the growers to try to grow deeper red plants in which the mature leaf stays a deep red.

The differences in emersed and submersed plant really can be quite dramatic, especially in height, and sometimes the emersed will be more impressive, and sometimes vice versa; that's why paludaria have such appeal. One of my dreams I never really fully bore out was to create a a paludarium with both submersed and emersed plants of the same variety and bromeliads, and orchids in the emersed part as well besides bog plants. I think my wife is happy I'm down to just a few tanks now, so it may never be. Although I've got enough orchids accumulated through the years hanging out around the house that it would be easy to stock a tank.

Interesting you said that. Next year I will be setting up a 48x48x22 blackwater tank and my intention was to design it so the water level will be 16 inches and plants can grow above the water level. My intention was to be able to grow plants that might otherwise struggle in purity of blackwater. I had intended to grow a lot of PSO but perhaps a few swords might also be able to handle the water after all some are native to soft acidic water.

• Like 1

I wanted to post this as an example, at the start of this thread. Here is a crypt lucent that I recently got from the coop, check out the bulb, I get this a lot when I order plants (my mellon sword had it) I think it is from a baby plant grown emersed. 

20220328_104742~2.jpg

• Like 1