Snails and Fertilizer

Cinnebuns

I've been noticing something. The days I use fertilizer, the snails don't look the best. I know they are sensitive to nitrates so I'm assuming that's why. What level nitrates should I be aiming to be below for healthy snails?  How can I do this and also use fertilizer for my plants?

• Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 11:57 PM, Cinnebuns said:

I've been noticing something. The days I use fertilizer, the snails don't look the best. I know they are sensitive to nitrates so I'm assuming that's why. What level nitrates should I be aiming to be below for healthy snails?  How can I do this and also use fertilizer for my plants?

What fertilizer are you using? Do you fertilize in relationship to a water change? Maybe perform a water change, and then fertilize 24 hrs later.

It makes sense that the less you dose at any given time, the less the concentration gradient from the dosing. Also, the more frequent dosing would balance out the highs and lows. Taken to an extreme, you would implement a drip system to slowly dose throughout the week.

On 3/25/2022 at 8:13 PM, Widgets said:

Taken to an extreme, you would implement a drip system to slowly dose throughout the week.

Yeah I don't have the funds for that. But I think doing 4x a week or even daily dosing with less is the play. 

Edited by Cinnebuns

On 3/26/2022 at 5:23 AM, Guppysnail said:

My tap contains copper. My foods contain copper.  Added together I’m just shy of harmful/irritating to my snails.  All in ones contain copper. Each thing is low enough to not cause issues.  Added up it could be.

That's very possible but I lean more towards the nitrates. After dosing this week I decided to test and my nitrates were 40 ppm so, even though it's taking the fertilizer out, I did a water change 2 days in a row. It's never that high when I usually test several days after and they always react the day of dosing. Idk maybe it's both. But would copper make them inactive or just kill them?  I honestly dont know a whole lot about snails and how they react to each copper and nitrates. I was also told, from a random source, that the small amount of copper in fertilizers gets eaten by the plants very fast. Idk

Edited by Cinnebuns

On 3/26/2022 at 6:36 AM, Cinnebuns said:

That's very possible but I lean more towards the nitrates. After dosing this week I decided to test and my nitrates were 40 ppm so, even though it's taking the fertilizer out, I did a water change 2 days in a row. It's never that high when I usually test several days after and they always react the day of dosing. Idk maybe it's both. But would copper make them inactive or just kill them?  I honestly dont know a whole lot about snails and how they react to each copper and nitrates. 

I never had one die of copper poisoning “that I know of” so I can’t really say how they react

On 3/26/2022 at 5:38 AM, Guppysnail said:

I never had one die of copper poisoning “that I know of” so I can’t really say how they react

I am by no means very knowledgeable about snails at all, but my perception based on what I've learned is a lot of what people say about copper poisoning is more fear based than fact based. Some people act like any single tiny trace of copper will kill their snails instantly. That's just not the case. They infact NEED tiny amounts of copper. I also feel like it can become an easy scape goat for finding the real problem. "My guppy food says it has 0.0001% copper sulfate. That must be why they died!"  

On 3/26/2022 at 2:31 PM, Cinnebuns said:

I am by no means very knowledgeable about snails at all, but my perception based on what I've learned is a lot of what people say about copper poisoning is more fear based than fact based. Some people act like any single tiny trace of copper will kill their snails instantly. That's just not the case. They infact NEED tiny amounts of copper. I also feel like it can become an easy scape goat for finding the real problem. "My guppy food says it has 0.0001% copper sulfate. That must be why they died!"  

Yes snails an shrimp do indeed need some copper. Adequate amounts are provided in most food. Adding fertilizer adds some in non toxic amounts as well.  I’m cautious because my tap averages .52 ppm and .63 ppm of the form of copper that is toxic. My tap also averages between 20-30 nitrates so my tanks run 40 average.  I’ve not noticed snail lethargy. That’s the only reason I mentioned copper. The copper exaggeration fear is definitely a thing though. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2022 at 2:42 PM, Cinnebuns said:

Maybe it's wise to check my tap copper. Would I have to get a water report for that?

That is how I get my info. They also make copper test kits. I use these to be certain I do not have a build up in my tank. I’ve never seen a build up in tank so I’m not certain it’s a thing?

4A14CD5B-CBF6-4430-A1AD-F2AC799A61CB.png

• Thanks 1