ph help?

Wolfinleather

So I have 2 40gallon cube tanks 1 20 gallon tank and a betta fish hydroponics tank.

We recently moved from North Las Vegas to a house in Vegas proper the PH here is vastly different.  Our water is also considered liquid rock.  Not sure about actual numbers on hardness but my former 135 gallon African Cichlid tank they were breeding like crazy and very happy.  

When we move we lost the 135 gallon tank thank to the movers and gave all my big guys away.  I have a baby that somehow tagged along. 

My question is my Ph is high here as in 8.2+ I tested directly from the tap what's the best way to bring the PH under control? 

In one 40 gallon we have guppies, neons, snails, 3 green corries, 3 Kuhlies, and some cherry shirmp.  In the other 40 my other half has goldfish and some mollies.

Lilbit the baby cichlid is in the 20 gallon for now.  (don't tell other half but I'd like to get another big tank)

I know some people use the almond leaves they sell at the coop to help lower the ph as well as drift wood. I guess it is the tannins in those that help to lower ph. I have not personally done this but I do live in Arizona and have very hard water so I understand the struggle. On the plus side having harder water means the ph is more stable and won’t change much which some fish can adapt to easier than a ph that is constantly going up and down. Some people however will get a water softer and RO system specifically for their aquariums. There are definitely some options out there to choose from depending on what you think will work best for you! 🙂 

If you're trying to get closer to neutral for your shrimp and South American fish, I would use both Mopani driftwood and almond leaves. Big pieces of Mopani release a good amount of tanic acid to soften the water as do the almond leaves. Remember to add new leaves after water changes and you can get fairly stable results with minimal swings.

You can achieve the same effects if you use boiled peat in a filter bag in a filter chamber, sump, or even in the tank hidden from sight if you don't want to see driftwood and leaf litter in your tank. But if you have shrimp anyway, they love both the Mopani wood and almond leaves so I'd try to go that route.