Best single fish aquarium

Sully

I recently got back into the hobby after a few years off. I am setting up a new 29 hex, freshwater, no live plants. I am trying to set up a very low maintenance tank. I am thinking one fish and a couple of Algae eaters. Raising a cool cichlid might be fun. I was thinking a male Jack Dempsey or Green Terror. Does anyone on the forum have suggestions for other single, big, Colorful fish, and a few algae eaters?

Welcome to the forum!
That size of tank might  restrict some of the larger south American Cichilds, but some of the African ones might be ok in there. There's plenty of members here who experience with both, and will have better suggestions then me I'm sure.

29 hex has very limited swimming room. About the only cichlid i would recommend is borelli apistogramma. I suppose you could also try german blue ram but they are very fragile and not for beginners. Blue arca are probably too large and active.

• Like 2

On 3/23/2022 at 3:57 PM, Sully said:

I recently got back into the hobby after a few years off. I am setting up a new 29 hex, freshwater, no live plants. I am trying to set up a very low maintenance tank. I am thinking one fish and a couple of Algae eaters. Raising a cool cichlid might be fun. I was thinking a male Jack Dempsey or Green Terror. Does anyone on the forum have suggestions for other single, big, Colorful fish, and a few algae eaters?

I always thought one Oscar would be great, those guys are like dogs. But you would need a much bigger tank.  

I had a single Oscar years ago and I kept him in a 5ft long tank that tank to small for large territorial cichlids  I think an apisto or a group of small fish like x-ray tetras or neon and a bristlenose or nerite snails for algae control would work well or a single Bettas