White cloud as hydra cure?

Nav

IMG20220323103621.jpg.91849a4f503d8060ee3a5909d4c86b1d.jpgHas anyone had any success with white cloud minnows eating and eradicating hydra in a tank?

I know that sparkling gourami are probably the best at this, but I have a cold water tank which has a hydra issue.

Edited by Nav

Here is a video that might help. I keep 3 kinds of hydra in all 8 of my tanks because they are weird and wonderful (I know it’s not right for everyone) 

stop feeding fine powdered food, live/frozen BBS, daphnia and tiny organisms. After about two weeks they cyst up and a good vac removes many of them. Mine don’t come out for me to see unless I sustain feed powder high yeast(shrimp/fry) food live bbs consistently for 3-7 days. 
most folks do not like them but they are a part of any natural ecosystem. I have neo shrimp and hatch/raise teeny tiny CPDs with them present. I have no issues. They are not necessarily bad just possibly aesthetically displeasing to some. 
I hope the control method helps. I’m not trying to convince you to love hydra I promise. 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yeh thats the weird thing,  that tank only has snails in it with no feeding of live foods only a piece of vegetable once in a while - hopefully they will die out on their own eventually 🙂

I have a very healthy population of hydra as well. I don’t think I’ve ever seen white clouds really pick at hydra but it’s worth a shot!

if you don’t feed heavy or at all then their presence means you likely have a pretty healthy micro invertebrate population. Hydra do eat FFA but it only makes up about 8% of their gut according to a few papers.

If you really don’t like them it appears others on this forum have used “no planaria”. It doesn’t seem to affect snails.

Yeh, they are an interesting organism! I will keep them around for a while and see how long they last in that tank. Eventually I might get some whiteclouds and see if they go for them or not 

On 3/23/2022 at 1:17 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

I have a very healthy population of hydra as well. I don’t think I’ve ever seen white clouds really pick at hydra but it’s worth a shot!

if you don’t feed heavy or at all then their presence means you likely have a pretty healthy micro invertebrate population. Hydra do eat FFA but it only makes up about 8% of their gut according to a few papers.

If you really don’t like them it appears others on this forum have used “no planaria”. It doesn’t seem to affect snails.

It reliably kills nerites, but doesn’t seem to affect ramshorns or bladder snails.  I haven’t treated a tank with mystery snails or other species of snails.

Oh, and I wasn’t treating hydra, I ignore those.  I was treating planaria.

• Like 2