Mudpuppies & Catfish

Jada Bray

I have this pond down the road from my house and in the spring with heavy rain it over flows. We find several different types of fish in the dirt road, usually small sized catfish, bring them home and put them in an aquarium. I had found the typical catfish but also two mudpuppies, I had a spare 55gal tank and so I brought a few catfish and the two mudpuppies home. I was just curious if the mudpuppies would be alright in the same tank as the catfish. I wasn't able to find much on a Google search and haven't seen a wild mudpuppy since I was a kid and would love to keep them. Any info would be greatly appreciated even if it means relocating the catfish to a different tank or pond. The catfish are approx 3-6 inches and the mudpuppies are approx 8-12 inches.

• Like 1

Wow! 8-12 inches??!!! Got to see some photos of those. Please upload! Seems kind of like native axolotls.

I’m not sure about compatibility, but if they’re overflowing from the same source, I assume they can coexist. You’ll need to find a live food they’ll all eat readily. Normal garden worms would be my first fry.