Corydoras and possible ich?

Chewyrat77

I have a group of 5 peppered corydoras in my 10 gallon QT tank for 10 days now. Ran the med trio last week. Yesterday I seen what appeared to possibly be ich on one of them so I immediately did a water change and added ich x. Today when I woke up, all five looked fine with no white spots on any of them so I decided to feed them before doing a water change and redosing the ich x. Shortly after feeding Hikari sinking wafers I looked them all over again to find one of them has two or three spots like before, not the same cory that had them initially, I can tell by their size. So my question is with them eating the way they do and stiring small particles of food up into the water column could that be what it is sticking to them?  I'm thinking it is because after the water change I just did they are all clear of spots again. Strange 

It's possible it's particles that they are stirring up ich looks like small grains of salt over the body usually starts on the fins it's difficult to no for sure I would just monitor them closely for the next couple of days  

On 3/21/2022 at 2:21 PM, Chewyrat77 said:

small particles of food up into the water column could that be what it is sticking to them? 

Yes. My panda Cory cause me worry all the time. I don’t have great eyesight so keep a magnifying glass right next to their tank.  They forever have tiny particles of hikari sinking wafers stuck to them that drop off when they zoom about. I still look at each particle to be certain (worry wort mom 🙄)

• Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 5:25 PM, Guppysnail said:

Yes. My panda Cory cause me worry all the time. I don’t have great eyesight so keep a magnifying glass right next to their tank.  They forever have tiny particles of hikari sinking wafers stuck to them that drop off when they zoom about. I still look at each particle to be certain (worry wort mom 🙄)

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's what's going on with mine as well. Like I said, after the water change today I didnt see any spots on them. Then an hour or so later I went over looked again and one of them close to the front glass had a spot. I tapped the glass to see what happened and then the spot was gone like he shook it off when fleeing. I dont believe ich would suddenly appear within an hour and then fall off shortly after. 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 5:52 PM, Chewyrat77 said:

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's what's going on with mine as well. Like I said, after the water change today I didnt see any spots on them. Then an hour or so later I went over looked again and one of them close to the front glass had a spot. I tapped the glass to see what happened and then the spot was gone like he shook it off when fleeing. I dont believe ich would suddenly appear within an hour and then fall off shortly after. 

Whew, I am so happy to see that it's not just me! I am a newbie Cory mom, I just adopted 6  Melanistius Corydoras this past Friday - my first Corys on my birthday!

I noticed the same thing, the little crumbles of their Hikari Sinking Wafers/Algae Wafers make A MESS and look like a fine dust on their scales... which freaked me out when I saw it because it kind of looks like Ich or Epistylis.

I've only had them a few days in my QT tank and they will be staying for a while yet to make sure everyone is healthy, but glad to see I am not the only one with this experience. They sure are messy little eaters, but SO CUTE.